Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error Messages on StartUp

• Please log in to reply

GWats

GWats

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Recently I installed an ethernet thing as I later would be going to High speed internet (finally). There was no problem putting in the hardware but I think I screwed up during the software installation. After many error messages and possibly bad guesses as to what I was to do, I finally got it installed properly (with tech support). However, when I start up my computer, I get several error messages. They're pretty long. I've typed them below in their entirety. The first message appears in DOS as the computer boots up.

Cannot find a device file that may be neeeded to run Windows or a Windows application.
The Windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists.
If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup program.
If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.
vnetsup. vxd
Press a key to continue

That's the first message. After you press a key, the same error message appears again with the following file listed:
vredir.vxd

And the again with this file listed:
dfs.vxd

After I 'Press a key to continue' the third time, the computer sits there for over a minute and then, while the usual green screen comes up, this appears in a regular Windows error message with the title "Windows Networking":

Unable to load the dynamic link library
msnp32.dll
The system cannot find the specified file.
Some or all of the following feature is not available:
Microsoft Network
OK

That's it. I click OK and the thing starts up, albeit extremely slow.

What can I do to correct this mess???

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi GWats...Welcome to G2G!

Click "Start" then "Run"...type sfc and click "Ok". If the System File Check finds missing or currupt files you can recover them from your Windows installation cd.

wannabe1

GWats

GWats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
OK, I did the sfc thing and it didn't turn up anything. What next??

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi GWats

Shut down your computer, but choose to "Restart in MS Dos Mode". From the command prompt, type scanreg.exe /fix (Note the space before the /) The entire command line should read C:\WINDOWS>scanreg /fix. Be sure to use the correct \ and /...type the commands just as they are posted. Press "Enter" After the scan, Reboot. (Ctrl + Alt + Delete)

wannabe1

GWats

GWats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
OK, I did that. It said that it successfully fixed the registry (or something like that). Unfortunately, the original problem is still there.
What next??
Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi GWats...

This one is being kinda sticky....

Follow the procedure listed under "Resolution" Here.

Note: You may have to reload the page a couple of times to view the whole procedure...at least that is the case on my machine...there should be 12 steps.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 31 August 2005 - 11:15 AM.

GWats

GWats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I found the solution at
http://www.annoyance...n95/t1026313431

I worked like a chram
Thanks folks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
GWats....

Thanks for letting us know that you have resolved this issue and how you accomplished it. The information has been filed for future reference!

wannabe1