Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Drive and RW Drive

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
When I try to use either drive especially for game playing I am continually getting message - please insert disk into drive OR there is no disk in drive.

Running XP with SP2, 512 MB

Drive G:
Description CD-ROM Drive
Media Loaded No
Media Type CD-ROM
Name CDWRITER IDE5232 SCSI CdRom Device
Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Status OK

Drive E:
Description CD-ROM Drive
Media Loaded No
Media Type CD-ROM
Name IDE DVD-ROM 16X
Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Status OK

Can anyone help - simply cannot use these drives at all right now.

Advertisements

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
do you have any CD's in your CD drive?

mpy

mpy

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
The disk has probably been damaged or the data isn't readable.. If you burnt the game try reburning

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

The disk has probably been damaged or the data isn't readable.. If you burnt the game try reburning

View Post

THis is not ok to suggest in here. WE DO NOT SUPPORT ILLEGAL SOFTWARE\OS'S ETC

Please do not suggest this again mpy!

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Agreed with Tony. If the game was "burned", it is most likely not a legal copy. We don't offer help here for anyone using any type of pirated software. I will be keeping an eye on this thread.

mpy

mpy

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Burnt copies of games aren't neccessarily illegal..

"If you burnt the game try reburning"
"THis is not ok to suggest in here"

Actually.. Suggesting to reburn something is OK so long as it is not illegally burnt

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
No it is not ok to suggest any thing in the illegal area.

Burning games is ILLEGAL

mpy

mpy

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Burning games is ILLEGAL

Burning games is NOT illegal!!

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Please stop aguing with me, burning games is illegal,

END OF SUBJECT

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

Burnt copies of games aren't neccessarily illegal..

"If you burnt the game try reburning"
"THis is not ok to suggest in here"

Actually.. Suggesting to reburn something is OK so long as it is not illegally burnt

View Post

Then this should have been stated in your original post. In what instance would burning a game be LEGAL?? I suppose you could buy a game, then make an extra copy of it for yourself in case it wears out. When you said The disk has probably been damaged or the data isn't readable.. If you burnt the game try reburning it would have been best to leave the end part off. :tazz:

Advertisements

mpy

mpy

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
OK maybe in NZ it is illegal to burn games, but in Australia it is legal.

"When you said 'The disk has probably been damaged or the data isn't readable.. If you burnt the game try reburning' it would have been best to leave the end part off."
Why is that? It is a legitimate suggestion.. "If you burnt the game try reburning" because maybe an error occured during the burn process

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Because if they DID obtain the game illegally by burning a copy off of someone else, you just told them how to fix their problem...again, illegally. the point is that we don't suggest they do something like this until we KNOW for a fact we are dealing with something legitimate. :tazz:

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
If the drives are now unable to read anything one wonders how one would be able to burn anything.

Press Windows botton with R botton,
Type: devmgmt.msc
click the plus sign by DVD/CD-ROM drives
Right hand click the drive
Choose properties

Now from this point one has various ways, I tend to uninstall then search of new hardware, which normally installs the driver afresh.

Post back if you have no joy then

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I do appreciate the attention my post received but let me make one thing clear - these disks I am using are NOT burned disks!!!!!! I even am having trouble installing my Roxio program and that is NOT a burned disk!!!!! All the games I am currently playing are NOT burned disks. I have NOT burned anything nor do I intend to.

My problem is both my DVD and RW - most of the time these drives simply will not recognized that there is a disk in the drive. One time I can playa game, the next time I cannot. It gets very confusing and frustrating.

So having posted this is there anyone else that might suggest what could be wrong?

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
to: fleamailman - will follow your ideas and see how I do. Am almost afraid to make any moves re my system. Have had such problems in the past and just now have had the whole system rebuilt so it should be operating quite OK. Just within the past few days has this problem of non recognition of drives popped up.