Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I broke Windows XP after removing spyware.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Nocturnal

Nocturnal

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Alright I have a problem. I removed a bunch of spyware from this computer which included Aurora, WinFixer, Surf Side Kick, and many others. What happened was after rebooting into Windows I was prompted to re-activate Windows even though I hadn’t changed out any hardware. I thought this was rather strange. I went ahead and did an overlay of the operating system. Upon doing the overlay I was prompted to activate Windows, so I did. Upon getting into Windows I found out another culprit which was giving me problems, it was a directory within Program Files. I went into safe mode and deleted the directory. After that I restarted Windows and it kept rebooting after the Windows splash screen. The system was running Windows XP Home with SP2 installed. I’m wondering what exactly happened. I’ve searched Google and came across another posting where someone had a similar situation but did not resolve it. He did resolve it but the guy went ahead and formatted the computer which is my very last resort here.

Advertisements

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Where abouts did you get your XP CD?

Nocturnal

Nocturnal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Why does that matter? This isn't my computer, it's a clients and I'm using the client's CD that the client received from the manufacture, Compaq.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

Why does that matter?  This isn't my computer, it's a clients and I'm using the client's CD that the client received from the manufacture, Compaq.

View Post

Why does that matter? <--- We both know why I asked this question and why this matters.

Nocturnal

Nocturnal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Why because you think I'm using a warez version of Windows? I don't know why you're asking, trust me, I am not psychic. If you're implying that I'm using a warez version then you're wrong. But if you want to assume then that's fine. You can close this topic and be a jerk if you want to. I am just looking for help.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Please dont talk to me like that.

I was not assuming any thing or accusing you of anything, I was simply asking a question.

That is all.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

Why does that matter?  This isn't my computer, it's a clients and I'm using the client's CD that the client received from the manufacture, Compaq.

View Post

Nocturnal, as a GeekU student, you should know that we do NOT offer free help to people who are getting paid to fix someone's computer. :tazz: Our site is here to help people fix their OWN computers.

It's seriously uncool to post here saying you are fixing a computer for a client (meaning you will be getting PAID), while expecting us to help for free. :)

I am closing this topic.