Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Issues launching programs and using KB

• Please log in to reply

Dave_C-64

Dave_C-64

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,
I am experiencing several problems on my main PC. First if I use the keyboard, the keyboard and the mouse freezes. The computer continues to opperate, but obviously I can't do anything with it. Second, all of the desktop icons come up as blank or generic. Third, when I try to run a program, it either does not run, or it asks me to provide the program to run ... I get the box that says to choose a program to run, even if I try to launch the program from windows explorer.

I'm not sure what the problem is or how to attempt to fix it. I am able to run ad-aware and Spybot and it comes up with only one issue. I cannot run Norton Anti Virus or IE.

One thing that did happen just before the problem started getting worse was the Ad-Watch was coming up with a dialog box stating that certain programs were trying to make registry changes and asked if I would allow the change or block the change. For most I asked block, and I'm not sure if thats part of my problem. The keyboard/mouse problem had already occured. I can't remember how much of the other problems were a;ready going on.

Thanks for the help.

--Dave :tazz:

Advertisements

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Do you have your XP CD?
Where did you get your CD from?

Dave_C-64

Dave_C-64

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, I have it. It came with an EMachines PC

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Ok, Im just making sure.

Have you done a virus and spyware check?

Also please click HERE and follow the instructions.

Edited by Tony_1983, 31 August 2005 - 12:44 AM.

mpy

mpy

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
re-install the programs

Dave_C-64

Dave_C-64

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Any ideas on the cause? Or anything I can do short of reinstalling the OS and applications?

Dave_C-64

Dave_C-64

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have run spyware, but not anti-virus as I can't get it to run.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you may want to try doing a repair of windows with your xp cd. this should fix windows without getting rid of your data and programs. you may also want to put the cd in the drive and do run > sfc /scannow