Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overheating problem

• Please log in to reply

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Hy Guys, I'm a newbie here and thanks for the forums.

I have a prescott 3.2 on a Giga 81875 Ultra. I have an after market thermaltake fan installed in an attempt to address an overheating problem. The new fan (which isnt new anymore) didn't help much, and only really made about 1 or 2 C difference overall.

On a warm day sometimes the CPU reaches over 85C and the machine shuts down. Ambient temperature in the room isnt usually above 25C and for the record its winter going on spring here so it isnt hot. (Melbourne Australia).

I suspect the temp problem has to do with the case, which is a prescott case with the crappy cooling tube thing in the side. I decided it was useless and installed a 10cm intake fan instead, but it doesnt help much either.

I think the main problem is the lack of a extraction fan anywhere in the case. I suspect that the CPU and the PSU together make so much heat one of them just shuts down. Very warm air comes out of the back of the PSU. (400W no name cheapy)

For some time I was under voltaging the CPU just a fraction to try and help. Stability didnt seem to be a problem but recently I retured it to normal (auto) voltage.

Should I just go and buy a better case? Money is a factor as I need to be buying a car right now. But what should I do???

thanks

Adrian. :) :) :) :tazz:

PS. Removing the side of the case where the tube was/fan is cools the machine by an additional 1 or 2 C. I was expecting more. Blasting the F#$K#R with a room fan helps though :ph34r:

PPS. The machine idles at about 55C with less than 4% CPU. When I run programs at over 70% CPU, it reaches at least 75C but usually below 80. Sometimes it crosses 80 and shuts down. That SH$T$ me off.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you can drill holes for more fans in most cases, you want at least one 80mm or above fan in the front blowing in and ine in the rear blowing out. Other common places include the side of the case blowing in and the top of the case blowing out. With fans its the bigger the better if you can fit a 120mm then you should for the best airflow possible.

Edited by warriorscot, 31 August 2005 - 05:00 AM.

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
But is my prescott 3.2 hotter than it should be? Other people have theirs run much cooler. Then again maybe it is just the case. I think it'll be easier to buy a better designed case than jig saw it all over the place. Thanks for your opinion.

A.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It is hotter than it should be but by improving your air flow you could probably bring the temps down to normal. It is easier to buy a new case but its not as fun.

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811209018

that case has 5 fan mounts not sure how many fans it comes with tho

Lion

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811119076 this is a much better case it only comes with one 120mm fan so you will need to get another but as far as i know it also has a cpu and vga fan duct to improve the cooling even further.

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Thanks again for the replies and the links which I checked out. There's deffinately some nice cases out there. I'll need to find a case which I can buy from Australia in AUDs. Maybe when I get a new case, I'll drill some holes in this one and have some fun. Question: After I drill holes in panels, do I need to put nuts on the screws I put in? (Assuming that the flimsy metal wont mount screws very well unless its pre-made with more 'thread' in the hole).

The dream of course is to water cool the sucker, but that would screw up the portability. Yet moving it has killed hard drives on more than one occasion for me. Guess I need a notebook too, but they suck for gaming. Anyway, overall, thanks guys.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well newer HDDs are geared to be able to moved easier, if it is for portability i like my super lanboy it is very light for an aluminium case and the carry strap is great. Cooling is good with the pair of 120mm fans it comes with and the window is a decent one.
You will probably need nuts to secore them on properly to make sure they are secure it depends on the case material.

Edited by warriorscot, 31 August 2005 - 10:45 AM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
airflow is definitely your problem here. I have that same CPU as you, it runs pretty cool for me, using the stock HSF.
my case has 2 80mm fans by the CPU sucking air out, 1 intake on the side, and I added a second intake fan to the front.
granted, I am running a higher end video card, so much of my system heat comes from that....but my CPU runs plenty cool as well.

you definitely need an exhaust fan, near the CPU to get the hot air out. one should be fine. if you have an intake fan as well, great, it will bring cool air into the case. to start, turn that fan you have around, so it is sucking the hot air out (assuming its near the CPU, which it sounds like it is....)

that CPU should be idling around 40-42C, and under load jump to around 60c max. it can go higher temp wise before it will start protecting itself, but the cooler it runs, the happier it will be!

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I used throttlewatch and it protects itself around 77ish. So how it can reach 85 and shutdown I dont know, I guess it doesnt throttle enough. The side fan it right above the cpu, so flipping it around doesnt sound worth while since the cpu and newly flipped exhaust fan would be fighting for air. I'm going to try and install more fans soon.

Thanks.

Ady.

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
As a final post in this thread, I'll let you guys know the results. I installed 2 new fans, 1 x 8cm top fan, and 1 x 9 (or 10) cm back fan, both running as exhaust. I've disabled the side intake fan (for now anyway) since there's a lot of drilled holes serving as the fan mount and the air gush sound is too loud. There's also a front intake fan I forgot about bringin air over the hard drives which imho is a bit obstructed (again poor case design). Temps are now acceptable for me - about 50C idle and 70C under 100 load for 20 minutes. Guys, dont buy a gigatech case...

Thanks for the advice. END OF THREAD.

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
in my opinion thats still to hot i would turn that intake fan back on and deal with the noise so u dont damage ur processor

Lion

gen244drdr

gen244drdr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I dont think another intake fan would make a lot of difference. The heatsink is prone to clogging with dust and I think I will have to keep an eye on it as this could decrese airflow over the heatsink. I really need both a new case, and a better HSF.