Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Pro installation error 1

• Please log in to reply

colliebob

colliebob

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Just installed a new hard disk (Seagate 160 GB internal) and tried to install Windows XP Pro to it (after disabling the old drive). Did quick format, which didn't work, then did full format of new disk. Installation proceeded until there appeared a dialog box requesting that I insert Service Pack 1 into the d drive to get NT5INF.CAT. The installation disk I bought from my employer says on the label that it includes Service Pack 1, but apparently this file is not on the disk. Any idea where I can get his file and/or what the problem is?

Thanks.

PS: When I check the new disk in My Computer there are two folders: My Documents (empty of course) and Windows. The latter folder contains what appear to be many of the Windows program files, so apparently the installation was well under way when it broke off.

Advertisements

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Did you get the CD from your employer, or is windows XP CD your own copy?

colliebob

colliebob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I bought it from my employer, University of Dundee. They have an agreement with Microsoft that academic staff can obtain heavily discounted XP and MS Office disks.

colliebob

colliebob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Maybe people feel that my XP CD is somehow pirated or illegal. It is not, but it's interesting that there has only been one reply so far. As it turns out, I found out that the problem with NT5INF.CA_ is not unusual (googled it and found several references). If anyone stumbles across this thread in the future and needs help, here goes:

Find the folder \I386 on your Windows XP Service Pack 1 CD and copy the file NT5INF.CA_ to your hard disk. Open up a command prompt and type the command (as it was in my case) C:\WINDOWS\EXPAND NTINF.CA_ NT5INF.CAT

You will then be told the file has expanded by 436% (or so). Note where the new file is, and save it to a floppy or easily accessible disk. When you are asked for the file during installation, browse to the A:

As it happens, the next time I tried to install XP, there was no request for NT5INF.CAT, so all the work was in vain. However, I had lots of other problems which would lead me to say to people in the same position: Don't do a Quick format, don't try to Repair an interrupted installation - neither work. Do a full format (be patient, it can take a long time), and be prepared to wait. It's worth it.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Your issue is resolved?

colliebob

colliebob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry, I thought my last posting made that clear. Yes, the issue has been resolved. Thanks.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Awesome stuff.

<RESOLVED>