Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless help

• Please log in to reply

spell128

spell128

• Pip
  • 9 posts
does connecting to a wireless network depend on the router itself?
if i had a wireless card that can connect up to 30m..while my router only 10m..
need some help here...thanks
if i can connect to it, will the signal be and the transfer rate become low?

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
If you want to get your best speeds on wireless it is best to match brands... meaning if you have a wireless router G or B.. you would want to have the corresponding wireless network card that is B or G...

That doesnt mean that a G card will not connect to a B router... as it will... it just will not pull the G bandwidth out of the B router.

Speedwise the G and B's are all interoperable but their speeds are not... For best speeds get a Wireless G router with a Wireless G network card... and position the card within 10 feet of the router (to get the full capability of speed from the router - otherwise your only operating at the Wireless B speed.)

spell128

spell128

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
thanks for that info.erm,by the way do you know what wireless pc card brand or model for pcmcia slot that has the longest range?how would i identity the range?802.11b is suppose to have a good coverage while 802.11a is suppose to have high speed.G is the combination of both a and b.is it true?and if it is do you have any model to recommend?the reason why i wanted to get a wireless card with a good range is because i wanted to connect to the wireless network about 30m in distance.it is actually like a hotspot where we buy prepaid cards to log onto the internet.it's kinda troublesome to go down to the swimming pool to online so i thought of this way.can i possibly online from my house?

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
I am not a reliable source for the latest and greatest in wireless technology as the company i work for is dedicated to using only Linksys and they are just now starting to use the Linksys WRT54G...

I do know [from daily installing and troubleshooting] that Linksys will connect [with good speeds] up to 150 feet [dont know the metric conversion for that] as long as there is not alot of metal [refridgerators...washers and dryers.. that sort of stuff] between the router and PCMIA card.

The "G" series routers are the fastest that i know of... but only up to a transmission distance of 10 feet or less... then their speeds fall back to the "B" series.

If you want me to track down the BEST router and card for fastest transmission at the furthest distance for you.. just post back and i'll find it for you. remeber i am linksys biased though :tazz:

spell128

spell128

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
hey man,thanks a lot for the information that you have provided me with.i have heard several good comments about linksys.if possible,pls help me to look out for the highest transmission rate at the further distance for me but i would really hope for the wireless card to have a really long distance as to compare with centrino's build in wireless..thanks in advance.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Found a good source for you.. check out this link on the "Further and Faster" topic from PC World...Gives a study of the top five "Further and Faster" harware manufacturers.

http://www.pcworld.c...d,121199,00.asp