Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Registry Mechanic... safe to delete all?

• Please log in to reply

kr580

kr580

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
I ran Registry Mechanic on this computer and it came back with 425 problems. All of them are 'Set To Delete' ... is it safe to delete all the problems it found? Is there any risk of losing something important?

Thanks - Kevin

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
There is a possibility that something could happen, though highly unlikely. The best thing to do would be to make a backup of your registry before telling it to delete those problems. Then, if something doesn't work, you can simple restore the registry the way it was.

Here's how to make a backup of your registry:

1. Click on Start, Run

2. Type "Regedit" and press enter.

3. In the registry editior, click on "My Computer" in the left window.

4. In the menu bar at the top, click on "Registry", "Export Registry File"

5. Choose a location you'll remember, preferably the Desktop, type in a name for it, such as "Backup", and then hit "Save"

Now you will have a backup of your entire registry, and if one of the problems Registry Mechanic fixes was actually something good, then you can restore it. If for some reason the computer can't boot up after using Registry Mechanic, start it up in Safe Mode so you can restore the registry. You do that by tapping on the F8 key while the computer is booting up. Take care.

Hope I helped :tazz: