Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Might as well introduce myself

• Please log in to reply

meighnot

meighnot

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
Where to start?

The beginning, I guess.

I got my first computer in 1981 when I was practically a Geen in Diapers. I still have that TI-99/4A and, miracle of miracles, it still works. Learned to read by copying programs out of the TI-BASIC manual and had quite a bit of trouble in those early days of school when I believed GOTO was an English word. From there I moved on to Apple IIs, Commodore 64s, and then to the 386s and 486s using DOS and Win 3.x. Started using Unix on Sun workstations in 1992 when I got my first shell account and immediately realized there could be no end to the depths of my geekiness.

After a brief and ill-conceived plan to become a doctor, I realized that I was born to be an engineer and attained my B.S. Engr degree in Computer Engineering in 2001. My epiphany came the day my (at the time) cutting edge Pentium MMX 200 MHz system arrived and I'd already voided the warranty within 20 minutes by deciding it really needed a network card and upgrading. Campus Ethernets were coming into favor, and I wanted to be one of the first to plug in. During my studies I focused on hardware design and networking, and spent many hours poring over circuits and electrons, eventually designing a small scale RISC processor. During that time I was employed in the university's computing services department doing general hardware, software and network troubleshooting and user support.

After I graduated, I decided that my heart didn't lie in transistors and silicon wafers, but in designing, building and troubleshooting networks. I gained a position as the head network administrator at a lower-medium sized firm, began doing freelance consulting in my off-hours, and kept right on building computers for myself and others. I've been in my current position for the last four years, and administer a LAN of approximately 250 PCs and 500 users which currently includes Windows XP and Windows 2000 workstations and Windows Server 2003 and Solaris 9 servers.

Because I am a glutton when it comes to all things geek, when I found this website in the course of trying to flesh out a particularly nasty piece of adware, I couldn't resist the urge. I was impressed with the talent displayed here and the kindness in helping others. I decided I need to stick around and try to help out and continually challenge and increase my skills.

That's about it. :tazz:

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
It is a bit like McDonalds here, one signs up at the top thread of the off topics forum, they then let you into their hidden make-fries forum and after that once they feel that you can make hambergers and the like, they let you out into the forums, sorry for using a universal example to explain things here as you would be crew manager so to speak but I wanted other to know how simple it is and how friendly everyone was, or should that be is. :tazz:

Edited by fleamailman, 31 August 2005 - 09:32 AM.

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Welcome to the Forums!

Im sure you will fit in perfectly here!

meighnot

meighnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Thanks! I'll help out any way I can. I need more reasons to sleep less anyway. :tazz:

I signed up in the sign-up thread today.

Resident_Blonde

Resident_Blonde

Formerly known as "Crafty_Girl"

• PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
Welcome :) to GTG meighnot!

Well, you are sure welcome here, and we can use all the help that is offered.

I'm the only ditsy blonde that knows nothing... wait, did not say that good enough... *NOTHING* ok, thats better... about computers. I know some, but still crawling. Well, that is an overstatement even, cause I'm actually sucking my thumb :)

I started my own business and many thanks to GTG for that... I surly would not be where I am without our main man and of course my family and friends.
But still trying to balance on getting a business up and rolling, and messing around in GTG. I have a drive of wanting to learn this Geek stuff. I love it and I'm very interested, but just not able to at this time.

But wish you all the luck and glad to see you here... :)

:tazz:

Inu-Ya

Inu-Ya

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
User Name: Inu-Ya

Interests: Networking, Computer Repair, Computer Sales, Spyware Support, Hockey, Baseball, Playing Video Games, In School.

Other Forums I visit: Help2Go, Lots more.

Alittle about me: I'm a student in High School. In the 12TH Grade and life is all good. Coming home and going through forums and helping anyway I can.

Note: I'm between in both the Software and Hardware range. I know atleast how to protect myself from Spyware and Viruses. I also know how to build my own PC and know what parts to buy. I'm no noob. I know what I'm doing :tazz:

Edited to remove link as per our TOS

Edited by ukbiker, 06 October 2005 - 04:28 PM.