Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Computer Freezes Seemingly at Random [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Armodeluxe

Armodeluxe

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,744 posts
Ok, good..only Smantec service there is Ghost..

Are you still getting the message at startup? Just came to my mind, the Scheduled Tasks might be left behind also..

Go to Start>All Programs>Accesories>System Tools>Scheduled Tasks

Delete any tasks related to Norton if any..

Advertisements

Jordock

Jordock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Alright, I deleted the Norton Antivirus scheduled scan in Scheduled Tasks. Unfortunately, that same error occurs at startup:
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
SAVRTPEL
SPBBCDrv
SYMTDI

Armodeluxe

Armodeluxe

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,744 posts
Ok, no services, no registry entries, no tasks left..what's trying to load those drivers?

I'll have to ask for help on this one and get back to you when I have something..

Armodeluxe

Armodeluxe

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,744 posts
Please download and install Registrar Lite.

Run Registrar Lite and click Search on top. Click the small button with two dots to select "Registry" for where to search. Then one by one enter those driver names in the search for field.

SAVRTPEL
SPBBCDrv
SYMTDI

Delete any keys and values found associated by right clicking on the entry and choosing delete.

I hope this will resolve it..

Armodeluxe

Armodeluxe

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,744 posts
Please disregard my previous message. Upon recommendation from an expert (thanks Michelle! :tazz: ) we will use a different approcach.

Please go here:
http://www.billsway.com/vbspage/

Scroll down the page
and download the "Registry Search Tool"

Unzip RegSrch.zip to the desktop

Double click on RegSrch.vbs

If you get a warning from your Anti Virus please ignore it and allow this to run.

When it starts, you will be prompted to enter a search phrase.

Please enter this:

SAVRTPEL

Click OK, it will disappear and won't look as if it's doing anything. When it's done searching, a prompt will come up saying how many instances it found. Click OK, and a notepad will open up. Please copy the contents of that notepad and paste it here.

Repeat the above search for

SPBBCDrv and SYMTDI also. Paste all three results.

Jordock

Jordock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Umm... I already used your first method. Hopefully it wont cause a problem. I'll try the 2nd one also to be safe.
Edit: Yeah, nothign shows up for these three anymore using Registry Search. Is there any way to undo what I did using Registrar Lite or should I just hope for the best? Do you think any of these keys would actually be important for me to keep?

Edited by Jordock, 09 September 2005 - 05:50 PM.

Armodeluxe

Armodeluxe

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,744 posts
Did you find and delete anything when you used the first method? Any keys/values about/with those 3 drivers?

Armodeluxe

Armodeluxe

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,744 posts
Nope, the second method was for us to see what was there and possibly fix them with a regfix. Reboot and see if you're still getting the errors.

Jordock

Jordock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yeah, there were a lot of keys/values for each of the three drivers.
Edit: When I rebooted, I did not get the error message about the drivers which is a good thing. The only error message I got was with ewido which doesnt seem like a problem:
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the ewido security suite control service.

Edited by Jordock, 09 September 2005 - 05:56 PM.

Armodeluxe

Armodeluxe

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,744 posts
Yesterday when you did the manual delete of Norton you backed up the registry didn't you? If anything, we can use that backup.

Advertisements

Jordock

Jordock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yeah, I did back up the registry yesterday, but I haven't noticed any problems with what I did so far. The ewido error should be harmless, right?

Armodeluxe

Armodeluxe

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,744 posts
I'm not sure about the Ewido error message but it may be harmless.

Good thing the other messages disappeared. Now let's see if you will experience any more freezes. Report back if you do..

Armodeluxe

Armodeluxe

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,744 posts

I reported this timeout problem to Ewido Tech Support earlier and was told that this was a known issue that would be fixed in future version upgrades of Ewido.

I found this in a search related to the Ewido error. Looks like you may have to live with it until an upgrade...

Jordock

Jordock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Well, my computer froze again.

Edited by Jordock, 09 September 2005 - 07:14 PM.

Armodeluxe

Armodeluxe

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,744 posts
Let me see a new HijackThis log.