Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No cdrom in windows

• Please log in to reply

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
I have a system here running windows xp home sp2. It has two optical drives..... Liteon cdrom ltn527t and a liteon cdrw sohr5238s both of which are listed in device manager but with yellow question marks. Both drives work on a dos level and both will boot. however neither is listed or working in windows. I tried this fix from microsoft:

http://support.micro...124120121120120

but that did not fix things.... One difference too is that this conputer has controlset01, controlset02 and controlset03 where the article only mentions controlset.... The settings it mentions are in controlset01 but not in either of the others. I have tried both methods listed and neither one fixes the problem.

I remember reading about this problem before but now cannot find it.

Advertisements

dagger

dagger

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
How about giving this a try.

http://www.dougknox...._cd_dvd_fix.htm

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
thanks for the reply but that didn't fix the problem either.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
have you tried updating the drivers?

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
said it couldn't find an updated driver.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
try downloading the newest drivers from the manufacturer's website

Nocturnal

Nocturnal

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Have you tried deleting the drive through device manager?

Can you check to see if you can boot from your cd-rom drive to make sure it's working at all. Do this by placing your Windows installation CD into the cd-rom drive and reboot. Your computer should give you a prompt that says press any key to start setup I believe.

If that works then you can rule out that it isn't the cd-rom is physically going bad. On the other hand if it doesn't boot then you will possibly know that the drive has gone bad.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
thank you for your reply however I have already removed them from the device manager and had already tried using them in dos and by booting from them as said in my original post. However I went back into the registry and edited the 3 control sets in turn and that seems to have finally solved the problem....Not sure why this conputer has 3 control sets ( number 01 -03 ) but it does....