Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DHCP Conflicts ... still no network connection

• Please log in to reply

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
moore candy, did I sent you a link for the manual for this router, did you get it and read it?

Advertisements

MooreCandy

MooreCandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Yeah Todd333 I got it ... THANKS
It's all so confusing, though ... and either way ... it looks like without the 9-pin crossed cable (Console Cable) I can't even make a move ....

So....

Edited by MooreCandy, 07 September 2005 - 08:26 AM.

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
dont give up moorecandy, heres some links that might help, I couldnt find much about troubleshooting this router other than the user manual

http://www.adslguide...q4/3com-g72.asp

http://misdocumentos...12/overview.htm

http://www.uk-bug.ne...ic-t-13200.html

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
http://forums.bit-te...8240#post738240

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
moorcandy, I was reading your router manual, and if you look at page 24, chapter 2-6, it tells you how to configure your router in unconfigured mode, which is what your would be if you reset it.

MooreCandy

MooreCandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Tonight's the big night ...
I have the 9-pin crossed cable, all the literature...

... and lots of hope...

I'll let you all know tomorrow.
(or better yet, hopefullly tonight from my connection at home!!!)

Thanks everyone, once again.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
good luck!!! (sorry we haven't been much help...you've got a fishy problem)

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
read the manual

MooreCandy

MooreCandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I "read the F-ing manual" and understood it.
Too bad my computer doesn't.
I got the cable and turns out that the 9-pin crossed cable was the missing piece. UNFORTUNATELY my laptop doesn't have a Serial Port ... I bought a USB-to-Serial adapter ... hooked it up...and let it rip...

The lights on the adapter started flashing ... but instead of the "Cannot Establish Connection with Router" message that I got before connecting the "Console Cable" ... I just ended up having the configuration program "hanging"(??) ... (Program does not respond)... Had to "force quit" ...

I'm about to throw in the towel. Buy a new wireless router from my ISP and pay for the Service Contract that includes: Installation, Maintainance... etc ....

I don't know if the USB-to-Serial doesn't work...
If the cable is bad....
If the Router is "blocked" ... so as to not allow a different ISP user to re-configure .... (even though, yes TODD ... I read the manual)

I don't have much more patience for this ....

(In fact ... I think that my "Topic" of the DHCP has nothing to do with what I'm really dealing with here ...

Thanks all ....

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
moorecandy, id give some more suggestions but it sounds like your at your wits end, i dont blame you

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm sorry that we couldn't help moorecandy....i really wish i could sit there with you next to the machine...if for no other reason than to help you smash the darned thing...

MooreCandy

MooreCandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
LADIES and GENTLEMEN!!!! Greetings from my HOME COMPUTER!!!

It was a small sacrifice to run down to the store and buy myself a SHINY NEW WIRELESS ADSL ROUTER and it's "Auto-Install" Configuration Kit. .... I figured the 99€ was worth all the time I had been losing ... plugged it in, ran the softwre ... and ABRACADABRA!!!

It's been a true pleasure trying to conquer that nasty 3Com machine with you all ... however, I couldn't be HAPPIER with my new ZyXEL Wireless Router!

Perhaps this is the last you all "see" of me .... thanks again, SO MUCH! ... for the techinical and the moral support ...

Moore Candy.

P.S. Anyone who wants to accompany me on my next adventure in here can come to try to help me at my new topic:

http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=62608

Edited by MooreCandy, 11 September 2005 - 01:56 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you send me the old router?......i wan't to smash it!