Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Sound and printer problem?

• Please log in to reply

HeadHurts

HeadHurts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I didn't reboot my computer or anything but I just logged on to AOL and sound came booming out. However, nothing happens when I press on the volume + or - keys. Nothing happens when I press mute either. It's one volume only--loud! And still my yellow volume lines don't display.

The keyboard is definitely not controlling my sound.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it may be a keyboard driver. ...do you have a little speaker in control panel?

HeadHurts

HeadHurts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Right you are! Someone walked by when I was typing my last message and said to check my start up menu. The keyboard manager was disabled. (probably from all the testing we did last week my system) Once it was enabled and the system rebooted, the volume could be controlled from the keyboard again. Love those yellow lines!

One down...what about the printer problem I mentioned? Should I go to the malware forum for that?

Thanks again for all your help.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the printer problem would be esiest to manage with the cd from the printer.....see if you can download the drivers and or software package from the manufacturer's website

HeadHurts

HeadHurts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I've been to the HP web site and haven't found what I need yet. They have on-line live help, so I will e-mail them first for help. If it's OK, I would like to leave this topic open for now and update it once I have additional information to post.

Or if I need more help. Is that OK?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
cool with me

HeadHurts

HeadHurts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello,

I wanted to get back to you with an update. I have contacted the HP web site and worked on trying to solve my printer problem. I downloaded all the current driver for my 940C HP Printer and according to all the diagnostics, everything is connected and running as it should.

When I get into IE and print anything, (wether it's from the browser print option or a "pinter friendly" icon, the document prints fine, but IE frezzes and and I can't surf the net or print anything else unless I reboot my sysyem. I don't think it is a printer problem, but not sure what else to check. Unless i'm trying to print, IE seems to be working fine for me--it always freezes after I print.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help!