Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hi im new cpu question still need help!

• Please log in to reply

computermaker

computermaker

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
hi i recently bought a new computer i was wondering about the speed and the temp the cpu is 1.8mghz amd and currently it is running at 1.3mgz i looked at the motherboard manual and the cpu speed is set on the board to 100mghz so i removed the jumper and put it on 133 mghz making it run at 1.8mghz but windows wouldn not boot and my cd drive wouldnt boot to try to reinstall windows so i put the pin back to 100 mghz and it booted fine any one kno what i can do?

also the temp on my pc varys from 51-57 degress celsius is that high?

Edited by computermaker, 01 September 2005 - 04:04 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Your temps are normal. Making it run faster will make it hotter. My suggestion would be to leave well enough alone, unless you're a gamer and looking for lightning speed. In that case study the CPU and motherboard manuals very carefull to find what you can do. Obviously something is limited to 100mhz, you may have to change it or live with it.

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
i am able to put it up to 200 mghz which would be overclockin but i just want what the chip can do which is 1.8mghz so in order to do that i need to put the jumber in my board to the 133mghz setting when i do and try to load windows it wont load my processor is supposed to be 1.8mghz

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Please tell us if it is a name brand computer and if so the make and model number

If it is a custom build list the full system specs including the cpu, motherboard, ram and psu.

Rick

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
its a pcchips m851g have 1gb ram amd duron 1.8 applebread psu is solar max 350 watt

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
First set the jumper to 133 and see if you can enter bios and load the optimized defaults and then see if the processor is running at the correct speed and if windows will load.

If nogo then,

Could you tell me what the cpu multiplyer in bios is set at, should be 13.5.

the stock setting should be 13.5 x 133 = 1800 mhz

Some older durons had unlocked multipliers. If the multiplier is set higher that could be the problem so try and set it at 13.5, I doubt you have one of these processors but you never know

Also make sure the vcore is set to 1.5 maybe try uping the vcore to 1.575 but keep a eye on the temps and keep them under 60c when in bios or at idle in windows.

Make sure you know how to clear the cmos using the jumper on the mobo before changing bios settings in case after the changes the system won't boot.

Rick

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
ya the sytem muti is 13.5 i did set it at 133 and yes i could get into bios but i checked to make sure everything was good then i exited and tried to boot and it wouldnt :\ ill try again ina mbit i didnt put try opti porfromace

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Ok try and load the optimized defaults but don't forget to save when you exit

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
also the vcore voltage flexirates from 1.455 to 1.471 should i worry aqbout that? its with using pc wizard 2005 so maybe its not acurate

Edited by computermaker, 31 August 2005 - 10:04 PM.

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
i tried what u told me and it when it went to boot the message theres an error with the operation system and it wouldnt boot so i put back the jumper on 100mghz and tried to boot got same error tried to repair windows still wouldnt work so i cleared the cmos and reinstalled windows now im installing my programs again other then that why wont the 13mghz boot i dont understand what if i leave it on 100mghz and in the bios change the overclocking to 133mghz will that make a different? if i wanted a 1.3mghz chip i would of saved about 10 bucks ..

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It seems to me that you have one of two potential problems: either a component in the computer (possibly memory) is not supporting 133 mhz or a line on your motherboard is damaged and doesn't allow to use this frequency.

I think that what you should do first is go back to bios and set it to default values and not to best performance values. Best prformance values are rather demanding and if some componetnts are not up to this demand you will have problems. second, can you increase the multiplier to 18? If yes, then leave the speed at 100 mhz and increase the multiplier.

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
what memory are u using and altho tho its not the point i think u mean "mhz" not "mghz" also does the board have a jumper setting that allows it to be set to "auto" rather then specifying the fsb this may work.

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
what i mean is ghz sorry 1.8 ghz lol the board has 4 setttng 133 mhz 166 mhz 100 mhz 200 mhz theres no setting in the bios how to change the mutiplier im usinf pc2700 1gb ddr ram 233fsb i belive

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
the 100mhz, 133mhz, 166mhz, 200mhz is the fsb, so if u were running 100mhz would hbe 200fsb, 200mhz results in 400fsb etc. maybe try a bios flash to update it see if this makes any differance.

Edited by The one, 01 September 2005 - 12:37 PM.

computermaker

computermaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
the motherboard is capiable of 333fsb and the processer i have i looked it up deals good with my board there is a update but its for semperon processor should i update it anyways? all i wanna do is get this board running on a 133fsb so i can get my processors full power i dont kno why it wont boot on 133fsb :\