Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Me Please, Audio Trouble

• Please log in to reply

devilsdream577

devilsdream577

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
[B][FONT=Times][SIZE=7][COLOR=blue][email protected] :tazz:

I have just finished reformatting my computer, and when i went to play a song on windows media player it says this error message that it can't play this file because i either don't have an audio device or it is being used by another program..i have went and tried everything i could in the troubleshooting and still nothing...I know there is a device because before I formatted i could listen to music all the time...can anyone help me to solve this problem I am at the end of my rope and want to strangle my computer...thanks Lisa

Advertisements

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I would say your problem stems from a driver not being installed correctly or not at all.

Have you went to windows update since you reinstalled? Normally the site will have most drivers for current hardware.

trying to help..........

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Was the disk you used for reinstalling the one that came with the machine? It may have a driver folder that has the drivers for your sound device. Or they may have been installed post hoc by the computer maker, in which case you will have to look at the device and download the drivers from the device makers site. You may also be able to downlod them from the computer makers site.

devilsdream577

devilsdream577

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I went to the site and it says that everything is properly updated for the operating sysetem...thats what is so puzzling...any other suggestions? and thank you for the input :tazz:

devilsdream577

devilsdream577

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I didn't think to go to the computer makers site I will try that now...thanks alot for the help

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
You probably need to reinstall the drivers for your sound card. From Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Hardware, look for the make and model of your sound card in the list, select it and then click Properties. In the next window click on Drivers, then Driver Details. You'll probably get a message something like 'no driver files installed'.
You will need the installation disc for your soundcard or you can download a self installing driver utility from the soundcard manufacturers' website. If your motherboard has integrated sound you can get the drivers from the motherboard manufacturers' website.

devilsdream577

devilsdream577

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
THis is what is in the place that you suggested I look....
Video Codecs
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Legacy Audio Drivers
Audio Codecs
Standard Game Port
LG CD-RW CED 8120B
HL-DT -ST CD-ROM GCR-8520b

Which one would it be?

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
If you click on the Audio tab in the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties window, in the top section Sound Playback, it gives the name of your default device for playing sounds, if there's nothing listed here it means you have no device installed, in which case you'll need to find out whether you have on-board sound or a seperate sound card. The easiest way to do this is to look where the speakers plug into on the back of the computer, if the connection goes directly to the mainboard you have on-board sound. Be careful if you remove the cover from the computer to check this, disconnect from the mains and earth yourself by touching the metal frame for a second or two before touching anything else.
Post back with your findings and we'll take it from there.

mpy

mpy

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Go to device manager and find "Other devices".. Under there it should say something about sound or audio and there should be an exclamation in a yellow triangle.. You have to update that by downloading the latest driver from the site of the manufacturer of your audio card

devilsdream577

devilsdream577

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
The computer that i am having trouble with the audio is at my work place and I am not working until tuesday so thank you for all the suggestions and when I am back at work I will try those ideas and hopefully it will work. Thanks again and have a good weekend....

Advertisements

ajcamp

ajcamp

• Pip
  • 7 posts
In the "Sounds" control panel, under the Audio tab, are all preferred selections grayed out?

I'm having a similar problem, but in my audio control panel, the preferred devices are grayed out. The sound drivers are installed properly, and the audio test programs generate test sounds properly through the card. Windows just can't detect and hook to the sound card drivers.

I had a virus recently (DOWNLOADER-ABS) and after cleaning it, my sound stopped on my computer. I assume that some Windows service is either not running, or is corrupted by the virus. I reinstalled SP4 (Win2000) but that hasn't helped. I've enabled all services in the Services control panels.

The Event log says there's a problem with the Windows Overlay Components, adn can't start them. Any idea what those are??

I was thinking of uninstalling Windows Media Player, but I think the problem is at a lower level than application programs.

devilsdream577

devilsdream577

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Actually that is exactly what is wrong with mine...they are all grayed out and can't figure out why, I went to the Windows site, all the proper drivers are installed but still no sound, there is a beep when I do something wrong or something but to play windows media player or something it just doesn't work. I am still at a loss myself. I just reformatted the computer so I don't really want to do that again, but I might have to just to see what happens or when I run the XP disk I might just choose to repair the program and see what happens...

pogonici

pogonici

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
mpy is right. check in Device manager (right click on My computer->Properties->hardware->Device Manager) for any missing drivers (yellow with question mark).

ajcamp

ajcamp

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I don't have any "? Other Devices" listed. All my drivers are reporting corrrectly.
But all audio preferred devices are grayed out. It's gotta be something in Windows.

devilsdream577

devilsdream577

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
that is a possiblity too...i might just reformat again...see what happens..can't see it making much difference but it is worth a try...