Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with XP OEM CD?

• Please log in to reply

PGPfan

PGPfan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Guys! New member here, and I'm trying to work my way out of a problem.

I'm building an new PC as a Christmas gift. I'm currently unemployed so to try and cut costs I bought an OEM 'license' from an online reseller. It appears to be fully legit (not a forgery) but when trying to install, I get the "invalid product key" or something close to that.

I called the company I bought it from and was told that I MUST use an OEM cd to do the install from. They said they'd be happy to send me one for 'another' $40.00.
Needless to say, I can't afford this. I have both a 'full' version of "Home", and "Pro" already (being used currently) so I just figured I could use one of these CD's to install from. But it no worky.

Can anyone please tell me what the ACTUAL DIFFERENCES are between the OEM version of XP PRO, and the Retail version? I tried to do searches online, and everywhere I looked they said the version are the same, which they don't appear to be.

Also, I believe that I can borrow a friends version of the "OEM Prep-kit" (I think it's called), can I use that to build a working OEM CD using the PID that I bought?

Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

-PGPfan

Advertisements

Zamuel

Zamuel

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hey, I am a 15 year old noob when it comes to computers I can put one together I can format drives the basics ;) :thumbsup: same thing applys with operataing systems.

The difference what I have been told is, the oem version is issued with computers like hp/compaq/ibm etc etc (I think, dont quote me on this one) It also can be purchased when you buy a cpu/mobo/hdd from a computer store they will let you purchase the oem version which is usually cheaper (thats how it is in australia)

A tip would be read over the cd-key and type it in very slowly. Sometimes o(lettre) can easily be mistkaens as 0(number). I have done this many times.

Another "Dont quote me on this tip" :tazz: Great help I am..
Is I think you can install Pro on a max of 2 cpus. Which means you can use your pro cd and key you already have.

I just noted you said "License" meaning just the key not the disk, I would guess. I reccommend going down to your local swap meet and going to guys who sell cheap copys of oem or asking a mate to borrow his disk.

Hope I have been of help/service and good luck...