Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

corrupted downloads

• Please log in to reply

Vandien

Vandien

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm having an unusual connection problem recently, almost every download I make, regardless of what website it is from, is corrupted. its not a problem with my router or connection as my other PC, connecting over the same router downloads fine. any ideas what could be the cause?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You might try going into your Internet Connection, clicking th properties for your network adapter and uninstalling/reinstalling TCP/IP. You must be having some missed packets that aren't being redownloaded, so the files are incomplete.

Vandien

Vandien

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well... I just tried to reinstall tcp/ip, but it would appear that windows doesnt let you uninstall it, I went into my network connection properties, went to tcp/ip, and the uninstall button is disabled for that option.

I'd try updating or reinstalling my network drivers but I cant download them to do that.

Edited by Vandien, 31 August 2005 - 03:17 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You may need to be logged in as admin io perform thai\t function.

Vandien

Vandien

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I am logged in as an admin, I could uninstall other network components but not tcp/ip

Edited by Vandien, 31 August 2005 - 03:30 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

I am logged in as an admin, I could uninstall other network components but not tcp/ip

View Post

Vellly interesting! Maybe you could uninstall the network device in Device Manager, reinstall it and then reinstall tcp/ip. Or maybe you can install it over the present version by adding it as a protocol. Maybe if you ran file checker it would replace some missing file. It's a bunch of maybes, but with so little information you may just have to try different things till something works.

One thing you can certainly do, and maybe already have, is look in event viewer for any related errors. You could compare the processes in task manager but TM only lists executables, you may have a bad/missing .dll.

Do you think there is any possibity of malware? It can certainly cause these kind of multiple problems.

Vandien

Vandien

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I dont think it would be malware, spybot s&d, adaware and spysweeper all came up empty. and I'm using xp SP2, firefox set up to ask me to install anything from a cookie and up, a router with nat and a good firewall.

anyway I think the problem should be resolved now, although not by means I wanted, a thunderstorm last night knocked out the electricity, corrupted my windows installation and another whole hard disk, just going through reinstalling everything now

EDIT:

well the problem just came back after I installed the nForce4 AMD Edition (6.66) drivers, so I guess thats the problem.

Edited by Vandien, 01 September 2005 - 07:13 AM.

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
just a suggestion, but i had errors similar to this when the HD I was saving my downloads was full, Do you have adequete space on the disk that your downloading to. Are there any bad sectors on your HD?