Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

please help- 2 problems

• Please log in to reply

lynseymillar2005

lynseymillar2005

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
hi
i have 2 problems with my pc and any help would be greatly appreciated.
problem number one is that my pc randomly freezes and nothing will respond, so i have to press the restart button on the box. ive definatly not spyware/viruses etc as i have ran numerous scans and nothing has ever picked up and i have protection running all the time.
problem number 2 is that my speakers are constantly making a "ssshhh" noise when at a medium level. this just started after i had an audio conversation(which ive done lots of time before) over MSN messenger with my friend. but now it wont stop, and ive checked the usual volume settings but they all seem normal.
please help if anyone knows how to solve these problems.
thanks in advance.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Problem 2--does the problem occur when the MIC is disconnected? If not, check to see if MIC boost somehow got enabled under the MIC Advanced settings.

There may also be a high gain setting somewhere, depending on your setup...would need to know more about your system to advise further

Problem number 1--freezes are hard to deduce when you're not sitting there.

Carefully keep track of what programs are running at all times and see if a patter emerges....it is generally a program error. Try CTRL-ALT-DEL, go to PROCESSES tab and see if anything is consumming 100 percent of system resources at the time of freeeze (task manager will often load in a freeze situation).

Kill that process.

Note the time of the freeze, then reboot

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.[/code]

lynseymillar2005

lynseymillar2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi

No, the speakers are permanantly making this noise, that is why it is such a problem. It was a mic headset which i had never used before which started this problem. i plugged them in a second ago and the noise is still there altough it is a slightly different noise when they are plugged in.
What would you need to know about the system? Im not too great on computers so i dont really know what kind of info you are referring to here?

As for the freezing problem, absaloutly nothing responds when it freezes, so ctrl alt delete doesnt work either:( but next time it freezes i will do the start, run thing and get back to you. thanks:)