Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router doesn't want to Connect to the Internet

• Please log in to reply

MicroVortex

MicroVortex

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello everyone, this is my first post and I really need help on this one.

I have been known to miss the most obvious of solutions to my problems. But yeah..I seem to be having some trouble with my Router. Linksys Model BEFW11S4. I've input the CD for it into the Drive and have gone through the configuration process, although at the very last step, it checks for connection to the Internet on my Main computer (Desktop), and it says no Internet connection was found. I just got DSL about a month ago and I had blanked out my hard drives a week before I got DSL. I've unplugged everything and replugged them in before turning anything on, I've switched the Ethernet cables around to see if that was the problem, but no luck. I'd really appreciate it if you guys could help me with my Problem...=\

Oh reason for connecting it to a router is so that I can browse the web using my PSP! =D

Advertisements

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
did you clone the mac address of your computer

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
DSL providers usually don't base your connection on your NIC MAC, cable will though.

If I am not mistaken, I believe with Linksys routers you have to set your PC up with a static IP first to configure the router itself. Without being in the same IP group your router has a default configuration that requires tweaking.

Most likely the router has an IP of 192.168.1.1 or 0.1, so just assign yourself an IP in that group and you SHOULD be able to go in and configure the router for your DSL connection.

Edited by thenotch, 01 September 2005 - 05:49 PM.

MicroVortex

MicroVortex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes, I can connect to the internet through direct connections from the Modem to the Computer.

And if it's not too much trouble, please explain all this static IP business...>.<; I'm not too sure on what all that means.

Oh, and no, this isn't the first installation with this Router. I used to have Cable before and was able to use the router just fine. Although it was my Step-dad who set it up, so I'm not sure if he had to do anything special to get it to work.

Edited by MicroVortex, 02 September 2005 - 07:53 PM.

Cryptie

Cryptie

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
The 'static business' you refer to is only necessary if the Linksys isn't acting as a DHCP server. It sounds as though yours is although from the fact that you can configure the router.

What I have seen happen in the past although is that DSL providers sometimes package a Modem/Router combo device. If this is the case it is quite possible that the DSL Modem is giving out a 192.168.1.x address; the same address that your Linksys is trying to use. What ends up happening is your computer attempts to connect to the Linksys at 192.168.1.1, the Linksys then tries to communicate with it's router at the same address (192.168.1.1). This doesn't work. Plug straight into the DSL and tell us what IP address you are receiving from the DSL Modem. That will give us a starting point anyway.

To find the IP address of your computer:
Click on Start, Click on Run, type 'command' without the quotes and hit OK.
Then type 'ipconfig /all', w/o quotes, press enter, and tell us what it gives you for an IP address.

MicroVortex

MicroVortex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
It gives me: 192.168.1.47

Cryptie

Cryptie

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
When you go through the Linksys router configuration that you mentioned, does it give you the option to change the IP address of the router? There should be a screen that comes up showing "Local Address" or something to that extent and it should be set to 192.168.1.1 - if you can change this to 192.168.2.1 and reboot everything it should begin to work.

MicroVortex

MicroVortex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Holy crap!!

YES! xD, Thank you so much! >.<;

I didn't see it in the set-up, so I just configured it myself. I had changed the LAN IP adress to 192.168.2.1 like you said and all of a sudden, all my messengers logged me in and I was able to browse the internet! Awesome, thanks again for all you guys' help! ^_^

MicroVortex

MicroVortex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hm, but that's odd, though...

Internet goes out sometimes...=/ Like...I won't be able to access websites and such just like..a minute ago. I read about something like that happening in another forum, but I'm not sure if it's fixable. Any tips?