Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot Device Error in Windows 2000

• Please log in to reply

hlb163

hlb163

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
First of all, thank you very much for your help. :tazz: Secondly, I'm posting this on behalf of my parents who are too shy to do it themselves. So I apologize in advance for the slow response time and such.

My parents have a second hand, IBM Think Pad. We think it was originally purchased around 2000-2003, my parents have had it for 2 years. It has an Intel Pentium 3 processor and Windows 2000 with all the updates available from the web. For the first year they had the lap top it wasn't used that much, then a month ago we loaded SBC DSL onto it, and added an ethernet card into the side port. *I don't have details on that but I can get them if need be*

After loading SBC on it they also loaded Spyblaster, Spywareguard, MVPS Hosts File, Google Toolbar and AVG. After running scans with those it said the system was free of viruses/spyware. They also uninstalled Norton Antivirus.

The computer was running fine for the past month until Monday when while trying to boot up they received this error message on a blue screen:

STOP 0x0000007B Inaccessible Boot Device

Now they cannot get past that screen/message, even in safe mode.

They have unplugged the SBC modem as well as the ethernet card and they still get the same error message. I used the computer on Sunday and it was working fine. And nothing new has been downloaded onto it since they got the spyware/virus programs at the beginning of the month.

We're completely clueless so any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again!

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
First check put the solutions in our BSoD post:
http://www.geekstogo...des-t43519.html

If that does'nt work follow the steps below:
  • In your BIOS set CD-ROM has 1st Boot Device.
  • Insert XP Setup CD, to boot from CD.
  • After the intial loading of drivers is over, on the Welcome to Setup Screen with 3 options; Press R key, to "Repair XP installtion using Recovery Console".
  • On the next screen you will be asked to choose your Windows installtion, choose the one that is causing the problem by typing the number beside it.
  • Now you will be prompted for the password of Administrator, enter it; If password is blank, just press <enter>.
  • First we will check for any errors on the Hard-disk.
    Type: chkdsk /r /f
    Press <enter>.
  • Next, type: fixboot
    Press <enter>.
  • Reboot and try if Windows loads normally.

I would also suggest you download UltimateBootCD, and run run some HDD diagnostic tools and some Virus scans (to check for boot sector viruses)

Edited by darth_ash, 01 September 2005 - 01:40 AM.

hlb163

hlb163

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thank you for your reply! I'm sorry for the confusion, I know my information says I have Windows XP *which I do* but I'm posting for my parents who have Windows 2000. Thanks for the link to the other topic. I'll have them try those and see if they work.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just as an off hand chance, does the laptop have a floppy drive? if so does it have a disk in it? any cd's in the drive? any usb devices attatched

hlb163

hlb163

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for all the replies! Sorry I am taking so long to post a follow-up. I gave the information to my parents and one way or another they fixed it, for now anyway. Thanks again for all your help!!