Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

please help . . [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

RhynoT99

RhynoT99

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
one morning computer was turned on, start menu gone, icons gone. only have a tan taskbar at bottom with few buttons for my computer and my desktop. Can't use the keyboard. Press any button it freezes. can't do a HJT or any other cleaning you'd like me to. confused. help greatly appreciate. please respond if more info is needed

thanks

EDIT : keyboard only works before i get into windows. every time i try to open something important i get a mmcndmgr.dll is registered by running "regsvr32%systemRoot%system32/mmcndmgr.dll" error.

Edited by RhynoT99, 31 August 2005 - 07:15 PM.

Advertisements

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
are you able to do anything in Safe mode without freezing up?

if you can,
Please follow the instructions provided, you may want to print out these instructions and use them as a reference.

Please download ewido security suite it is a free version of the program.
  • Install ewido security suite
  • When installing, under "Additional Options" uncheck..
    • Install background guard
    • Install scan via context menu
  • Launch ewido, there should be an icon on your desktop, double-click it.
  • The program will now open to the main screen.
  • When you run ewido for the first time, you may get a warning "Database could not be found!". Click OK. We will fix this in a moment.
  • You will need to update ewido to the latest definition files.
    • On the left hand side of the main screen click update.
    • Then click on Start Update.
  • The update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
    (the status bar at the bottom will display ("Update successful")
If you are having problems with the updater, you can use this link to manually update ewido.
ewido manual updates

Once the updates are installed do the following:
  • boot to safe mode
  • Click on scanner
  • Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin.
  • You will be prompted to clean the first infection.
  • Select "Perform action on all infections", then proceed.
  • Once the scan has completed, there will be a button located on the bottom of the screen named Save report
  • Click Save report.
  • Save the report .txt file to your desktop or a location where you can find it easily.
Close ewido security suite.

Edited by Efwis, 01 September 2005 - 08:46 AM.

RhynoT99

RhynoT99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
i cant even get into safe mode. . . .i tried the F8 on the bootup screen but it wont take me there.

i appreciate your working with me..

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
ok, it sounds like either your keyboard is fried or it's connection to the computer is loose, please check your cable, then reboot the system. if that doesn't help, you may want to get another keyboard, if you have one available, to see if the keyboard is dead.

Please let me know what happens.

RhynoT99

RhynoT99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
we've tried 3 different keyboards, each one jams the the computer. they only work before windows loads up.

UPDATE : I just did a registry scan, had to download it to my USB device and run it from there. It says every file has no registry. 798 files say the registry is empty.

Edited by RhynoT99, 02 September 2005 - 05:40 PM.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
based on that, your only option is a reformat and reinstall, Since you can't get in to do a system restore, you have no avialable backups. unless you put them on a disk before this happened.

What ever hit your system corrupted your registry and gave you an expensive paperweight.

how to do a full Windows xp reinstall

RhynoT99

RhynoT99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
made a little progress, started in safe mode. . . keyboard is working now. but when i try to install ewido i get this error:

The Application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect error

i have alot of important info on my PC . . if i do a system restore will it erase all my info or will it keep it there and just install all new windows material

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
if you are able to get into safe mode, doing a system restore will return the computer back to the last checkpoint. any programs you have installed since the last restore checkpoint was made will need to be reinstalled. all text files etc, will remain, they don't rely on the registry. the only thing that relies on the registry is actual programs, (i.e. if you have doom3, and you installed it after the most recent restore point, you will have to reinstall it, however if you installed it before the date on the most recent restore point, it will stay intact)

any further questions please ask.

to do a system restore,

To use the System Restore Wizard, make sure you're logged on as an administrator, and then follow these steps:1.Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.

2.On the Welcome screen, click Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next.

3.On the Select a Restore Point page, select the date from the calendar that shows the point you'd like to restore to, as shown in Figure 2, and then click Next.

4.On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, verify that the correct restore point is chosen, and then close any open programs.

5.Click Next if you are ready to proceed or click Back to change the restore point.

6.The computer will shut down automatically and reboot. On reboot, you'll see the Restoration Complete page, and then click OK.

RhynoT99

RhynoT99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
sorry before i PM'd you your reply wasnt posted. i tried to restore to n earlier time. it wont access any recent restore points...

is there a virus or anything that wipes out your entire registry or blocks it?

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
there are viruses out there that will do that, and I'm assuming thats what has happened.
you mentioned in your PM that you don't have a recovery disk. was windows pre-installed on your machine? you may have to contact the manufacturer of the computer to obtain the disk if that is the case.

with your registry missing most of its values, and you not being able to restore to any restore points, you have no choice but to go this route, and then do a full reinstall of your OS. since you have access to safemode now, I would recommend backing up any important documents that you need before reinstalling the OS. however I also recommend that once you get your system back up and running, before you reinstall the backed up document files, that you scan the entire disk with a anti-virus program to make sure nothing got transferred over that can cause this again.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.