Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help me please

• Please log in to reply

dooya juanabud

dooya juanabud

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I do not know what happened to my little arrow next to the clock to hide or show my active icons? Please see my screenshot of it here,

Posted Image

I was on the web and a page locked me up, I had then closed out of the page and my system locked. I then rebooted and upon coming back up, my little arrow thingy is gone. I tried restore back to two (2) days, and still nothing. The reason I had restored is because of my settings were showing that it should be there, but it is not, also my quick launch was gone. I found that, but I still cannot find what happened to my arrow. the box that reads "Hide Inactive Icons" is checked as well.
I had also tried to go into the registry and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
> Explorer\TrayNotify
and delete the values called IconStreams and PastIconsStream but the values called IconStreams and PastIconsStream are not present.Please tell me that I have to repair explorer, because I had added in SP2 when last reformat, and they just downloaded it off the net and did not make a slopstream and It will not let me, it kept asking for the SP2 disk and I have none and it will not accept my XP disk. Help me please.Oh and I had also downloaded and tried something called "Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!" from http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm but no option to restore the arrow was found but i did try the Restore to XP defaults and the Hide or Show All Inactive Icons to no avail. and I have proformed all spyware scans including AdAware, Spybot, Webroots SpySweeper, AVG, and asquared.including that of housecall, panda, and bitdefender online scans

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
First of all a silly question, Did you click on the Customize button and check if all the icons are not on "Always Show"?

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Hi dooya juanabud,

Welcome to Geeks to Go,

Something that I have noticed with your taskbar that might be off the topic is that AVG is not up-to-date.

That does need to be updated. To do this, right click on the AVG icon and select 'Check for updates'. Download ALL updates for AVG.

dooya juanabud

dooya juanabud

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, thank you both for responding, ok, to answer question number 1 the icons there are listed as "hide when inactive". someone else had told me on the phone to "choose and icon to always hide" and that will bring it back, well, I have no icons by choice on my desktop as I don't like it cluttered, I use the quicklaunch. and now on too response 2, yes, it AVG needed updated, that was a result of my trying system restore to try to get my little arrow back. upon restoring, all my previous updates were wiped out, and now it is up to date, thank you for noticing. any other ideas? :tazz:

dooya juanabud

dooya juanabud

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hmmmm, i tried this with the customized. it was always show, so i unchecked it, rebooted, then checked it again, hit apply and ok, and guess what, it worked...i feel sorta like a Homer on this, but it wigged out for an instant for some reason but all better now, I just thought I would let you all know that it has been corrected...how, I am not sure, but it has so after which, I cleared all restore points, and created a new one....thank you for taking the time to read and respond. :tazz: