Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN problems

• Please log in to reply

Jamblor

Jamblor

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

I recently moved into another house for college. I have cable internet installed however i can not use it.

My computer is plugged into a D-Link router that is conencted to the modem. My computer is not recognized on the network and cannot access anything.

When i run ipconfig my IP shows up as a 169.xx.xx number. I have been told that this means that it is not communicating with my router in the DHCP format.

I have tried to do an ipconfig /release but that doesnt do anything. It just shows what would happen if I typed ipconfig.

ipconfig /renew also does not work. it says it cannot contact the DHCP server.

My computer will work if I plug it directly into the router so the cable is fine. I also have another computer running the same way, but it works fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated since classes start next week,

Thanks a lot,
Victor

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
try to use sttaic ip. If it doesn't work, you may want to reset the router. this troubleshooting may help,

troubleshootingipconfigWhy do I get 169.254.xx IP? An error occurred while renewing interface ... 169.254.xx. Resolutions: 1) If this is XP, obtain the latest service pack for ...
http://www.chicagote...ingipconfig.htm

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Also, make sure that your cat5 cable is plugged in completely, that your NIC is seated, and check to see if you have connectivity lights.

Also, check and make sure your cat5 isn't kinked or damaged in anyway.

Jamblor

Jamblor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks for the replies so far.

I checked everything that was mentioned and installe dthe latest drivers for my computer. It still doesn't work. There seems to be no fix to this.

However in my other house I my computer hooked up to a hub and then to a router and then to a sympatico modem.

Perhaps I need to get a hub?

thanks,

Victor

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
A hub is immaterial.... is your router pulling a IP via DHCP or static IP from your cable ISP? Is the router itself configured to provide you DHCP?

Like suggested, I would put the NIC in static mode, see if you can ping the router IP. You might also connect the cable modem directly to you PC and see if your system will pull an IP via DHCP from your cable ISP.

Jamblor

Jamblor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
So today I tried to hook my computer up to the network that my working computer is on. I went out and bought a new CAT5e cable and it works perfectly now. The cable I have is a CAT5. I'm not really sure why it didnt work, but it's fine now.

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Victor