Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can not get to the desktop

• Please log in to reply

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I have download a few version of Linux and now am trying to get them to work. I have the Slax live CD, another Live CD call Myah, which is based on Slax. I also have the Mandrake mini, but I cant work out how to install it I think I will have to know more about linux before I can install it. I also have Slackware and I have just install that with not problems at all.

Now the problem is when I try to boot to Slax or Slackware and I login, I trype startx and in both cases I get this long error message, the only part that I understand is "no screen found." In Slax I can run a command xconf which is suposed to configer my video card (which is Intergrated Intel Extreme Graphice 2, my monitor is a Dell E193FP, and yes I do have a Dell Dimension 3000 to go with the dell monitor) then I run startx again and my screen goes black and I get told that "this video mode is not suported. " One interesting thing is if I run Slax (which is on a USB made with a program called MySlax Creator) and get to the balck screen, I can move the mouse, that I can see on the sereen, to where I supose that the bar down the bottom of the screen and click on something, that I cant see, th light on the usb flashes for a few seconds so I must be loading some program, I just can see it.

Dose any one know why it will not desplay any thing? :tazz:

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
It works on my dads computer but not on mine, so it is not the CD (I am in slax now)

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Sounds like you xconfig is not setup properly with your monitor Hsync and Vsync and possibly wrong video card settings.

I would check those first, then check and make sure when you installed the distro (I know nothing of the two you mentioned) that you enabled the X system so that GNOME or KDE can run on top of it...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
maybe you should get a different distro than a live distro if you're wanting to install it on a system. the "live" distros are designed to be placed on bootable media...it's much easier to install the actual os plus it is capapble of having more driver support due to the fact that you're not so worried about space....

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Know what the casue is now it is that it is trying to use 780x400 70hz desplay when it should be useing something like 1024x760 60hz, now I just thave to get the Xrandr command working on Slax or Slackware :tazz: