Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xp Firewall vs 3rd Party Firewalls

• Please log in to reply

rainmaker

rainmaker

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I am new to XP and am wondering if the built-in firewall is adequate or if I should disable it and go with Zonealarm or Norton or McAfee or...? (I do not have a router.) Please let me know your thoughts/experiences.

Thanks.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
The XP firewall only blocks traffic from entering your computer. Most third party firewalls also monitor outbound traffic from your computer. An example would be a trojan using your computer to send spam.

Windows chooses to only block inbound traffic because the configuration is much easier. It takes some time, and a bit of a learning curve to "teach" a firewall what's safe traffic from your system.

Windows firewall is much better than nothing, and firewall that monitors traffic in both directions is even better.

rainmaker

rainmaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
very interesting...thanks for the help.

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Turn that nasty firewall OFF. Off I said. I have had soooo many problems with my network, all due to that nasty firewall. Leave it out Bill Gates, If I wanted a Firewall built in, I would have installed linux (which I have done anyway :tazz: )

cybermaniac99

cybermaniac99

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
just placing my thought - better go for Zone Alarm

windows firewall - i hate u! :tazz:

;)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Why the dissing of the windows firewall--it does what it is supposed to do in limited circumstances.

If MS wanted to offer a full fledged firewall they would sell you one (if they included it, someone else would sue them.

For what it's worth, I cannot recommend zone alarm anymore...it seems to cause too many issues. My prefered firewall is an old version of Kerio

txDad

txDad

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My preference is to solve the problem using hardware, not more software. Netgear, linksys and other manufacturers all have a wide selection of products that perform well. Your feature list and budget will determine your choice.

I am currently using a Netgear WGT624; have had no problems and my machines are well protected.

Try dslreports.com and the grc.com sites for probers that will tell you how open your machine is.

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
I use McAfee Personal Firewall Plus and i think it is great and have never had any problems but a soon as I installed SP2 which has windows firewall some of my programs stopped working and it stopped me connecting to the internet even after adding the programs to the allow list.
the new Windows Codename Longhorn is a lot better and I think microsoft are finally starting to get better but why such high prices MS.
Linux is free but MS is better but to expensive.