Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need help with strange occurance in XP

• Please log in to reply

reedrogue7

reedrogue7

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am new to here, but I have about 14 years experience building, fixing and working with PCs.
I have something I have never had before. I am using Windows XP Professional with SP2.

System:
Abit KR7A-Raid motherboard
512 MB DDR 266 memory (one chip, Micron)
Western Digital 160 JB hard drive
Asus 16x DVD-/+RW
floppy
500 watt generic power supply
Leadtek GeForce 4200 128 MB AGP Video

My problem is that my screen blanks randomly for just a second or two. It is like when Windows is installing new hardware and the screen goes black. It does this in everything I do from just browsing My Computer to Internet.

I have a legal copy of XP with all the latest patches. I also have anti-spyware and anti-virus (Norton) that are up to date.

I have tried changing power supplies, memory, video card and reseating my CPU and Video card and Memory. The system worked fine until I put it in storage for a while (6 months) and then when I got it out all I changed was the hard drive and did a fresh install of Windows.

I have attached the monitor (NEC 991SB 19") to another computer and it does not have the same problem, it works fine. I took the motherboard out and cleaned it with compressed air, and made sure that all my fans were working.

It has me at the end of my rope so to speak, HELP!

Thanks in advance,
Reed

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Could be video-card problem.
Re-install\Update your Video Card.

reedrogue7

reedrogue7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for answering. I did try changing the video card from the Geforce 4200 to a Geforce 5200 and changing drivers.

Reed

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

Thank you for answering.  I did try changing the video card from the Geforce 4200 to a Geforce 5200 and changing drivers.

Reed

View Post

When you tried to reinstall the drivers, did you uninstall it then reinstall it?

If not..... download the lastest drivers. Virus scan it, turn the net OFF, and Disable or shut down any AV (Anti-virus) software. Then re-install the drivers.

For prof of what I'm saying. Please read this link for Nvidia installation tips.

The disconnect internet is one thing I suggest. This is so you dont get a virus while installing the drivers

Edited by Tony_1983, 01 September 2005 - 05:48 AM.

Dustyguzzi

Dustyguzzi

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey yeah im having a prob like that.
All my icons dissapear and so does the task bar, then slowly everything comes back. It happens when i close certain applications and end certain applications while they are not responding.

reedrogue7

reedrogue7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I used Detonator Destroyer program to get rid of the previous drivers. I tried the drivers from both the card manufacturer and NVidia reference.