Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

missing desktop icons and start menu

• Please log in to reply

shasha

shasha

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
okay, so this windows update pop-up kept bugging me everyday, so i finally downloaded the current update which happened to be SP2. download was successful; i just had to restart my pc. so i did. after logging on, an error message appeared:

Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Here's the Error Signature:

AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2800.1106 ModName: kernel32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 0000ac9b

And The following files will be included in this error report:

C:\DOCUME~1\CHANTE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\7a33_appcompat.txt

I don't know what that means. All I know is that my desktop icons are gone including the start menu. Start menu keyboard shortcut doesn't work. Safe mode doesn't work either (same error message). I still have my wallpaper though, but I can't right-click on it.

Good thing I kept playing with the links on the error message, until I found my way to my control panel and connected to the internet. Whew! Thank God.

Help please!!!

:tazz:

ConfusedChic

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Open Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del), click on Applications tab.
Click File->New Task (Run...).
Type: msconfig
Press <enter>.
Click on the Services tab
Make sure all the services are checked, if not click on Enabe All.
Now click on the Startup tab, make sure all the items that were previously enabled are still checked.

shasha

shasha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
did everything. restarted my computer. same problem. :tazz: any other option? i would hate to uninstall-reinstall xp again. :)

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
You mean to say the services were unchecked? Pls. give detail info. about the results of the method in my previous post.
Are you sure it was SP2 that caused the problem and not some normal update for SP2?

shasha

shasha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
everything was actually checked, so i didn't make any changes. then i was prompted to restart; so i did. nothing happened. i'm pretty sure it was sp2. it was my first time downloading anything that has something to do with sp2. pls help. i'm desperate. i'm thankful that the error message is still showing up as it's the only way i can open a window [via the link on the error message] and have access at my files. but it's such a hassle. :tazz:

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Lets remove SP2 and see if the problem continues, follow the steps below:
Open Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del), click on Applications tab.
Click File->New Task (Run...).
Type: appwiz.cpl
Press <enter>.
Scroll down to: Windows XP Service Pack 2.
Click Remove.
Reboot, see if the problem continues.

If the problem does'nt continue, Iw ould suggest you try re-installing SP2, as it is a very important update for Windows.

shasha

shasha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
sp2 was indeed the culprit. everything's working fine now. i will still download sp2, but i'll postpone it till next week. i badly need to use my pc without any hassle this wekend and i'm afraid i might encounter the same problem again. btw, what do you think of this:

Internet Safe Site: Safe Site winweb

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\SafeSites winweb = %windir%\Web\*

i was notified by microsoft anti-spyware and i blocked it as i'm not sure what it is.

:tazz:

thanks for the help btw. i'll just post again if i ever ran into the same problem after reinstalling sp2.