Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SDRAM Install problems

• Please log in to reply

olace88

olace88

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi.

I need help. I have an Intel Celeron 465Mhz processor running on XP profesional but I only have a 128MB of SDRAM which makes it very slow.

I tried adding another 128 SDRAM but it's not working. I get a continuous beeping on my HP motherboard and it doesn';t seem to boot. But if I return it to just 128MB the system boots normally.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

olace88

Advertisements

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I take it that the system won't work if you just use the new RAM?

Are they both the same type of SDRAM? (PC100, PC133, single or double sided)

Some motherboards don't like you mixing various types of SDRAM, other than that it might just be a bad stick.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It might be that the second module is faulty. Take the good one out and place the second one in the firsts slot. If it works then the module is good. If not, it is either faulty or latency diffrences do not allow it work. Try to clean the next slot carefully and insert the good module. Make sure it is locked firmly in place. This will check the slot itself. If the computer doesn't work then the slot is no good. If you have another free slot try it there.

You shouldn't worry about different speeds because the computer will adjust itself to the lower of the two. As far as latency is concerned that is important. If you manage to run the second module but still have problems then latency should be checked against settings in the bios.

May I take the liberty and advise about your system: It is too old and slow for XP, even if you double the ram. It would run beautifully with windows 98, even with only 128 MB ram.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
One thing to check is to place one card against the other so that all the pins line up and see if the little cutouts (keys) on them match. If they don't match you will definitely have problems. If they do you may still have problems.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also go to www.crucial.com to make sure that you have the right ram for your board

olace88

olace88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your advises. I think I got hardware incompatibility. I tried the additional sticks on another PC and it works. But it doesn't work on mine.

I 'll buy a new stick and try it. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Regards,

olace88