Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PS Guard

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

kkpjm

kkpjm

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
With all of the problems with PS Guard, wouldn't it be easier to just re-install my OS (Windows ME)?? I don't use my computer a lot... just some occasional browsing, email, some Autocad work, and a few games for the kids, so there's not a lot of interruption to computer usage.

A friend who is in the business suggested that route. Save my programs to a flash drive, and start all over agin with a new machine, oonce the OS is re-installed. My two cents, if it will save me some time I might go that way. What's your opinion?

Advertisements

Buckeye_Sam

Buckeye_Sam

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,019 posts
As someone who helps out here I always look at a format and reinstall as an absolute last result. PS Guard is not very difficult to remove in most cases and would most certainly take much less time overall than reinstalling your OS and restoring all of your data and programs.

But everyone has their own unique situation. If you don't have much on your computer or don't mind losing everything then a format may be something that you would consider. Windows ME can get kind of buggy anyways so if you are having other problems also then maybe it's a good option for you.

PS Guard alone should never be the reason to format and reinstall. IMO, that's a lot of unnecessary and extra work.