Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I compare to Windows XP configurations?

• Please log in to reply

codecraig

codecraig

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi,
I have been struggling with an issue, click here for thread, for some time...and I can't seem to solve my problem. So now I am at the point where I want to compare two Windows XP Pro computers configurations...such as user privileges, domain/workgroup setup, etc. Is there any easy way of doing this..such as a tool that does this sort of thing? Or can you suggest what areas I could look at?

Essentially I am trying to run the command line tool, tasklist on computerA and get the processes running on computerB. This is not working for me, however, I can get the list of processes on a computerC (which is running win2k).

Thanks.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Not that I am unaware of...sorry, I had lost track of that thread....this must be low-level registry corruption, which I am sure you are trying to resolve.

At a certain point, you should just re-install Windows on a machine (ie, when the time you spend fixing the problem exceeds the time of a reinstall.)

I think you have reached that point.

Do a backup, first

codecraig

codecraig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I reloaded win xp pro on the other laptop and still no luck...i thought it was maybe a SP2 problem...but i guess that's not the case.

codecraig

codecraig

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
problem was they weren't on a domain...as soon as i put them on a domain and logged in as admin, it worked.