Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help needed

• Please log in to reply

demirkol

demirkol

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Well i have got 2 hard drives ones 60 GIGS and the other is 40. I use the 60 Gigs hard drive but for some reason 10 gigs was gone from the 40 gigs even though i didnt use it. So i said that i would use the XP cd so i can delete the 40 gigs so i went into a new instalation and deleted the hard drive but now when i restarted my computer i get 2 options either go into XP or install XP. Is there a way i can get rid of that instalation crap?

Edited by demirkol, 02 September 2005 - 05:18 PM.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Take the cd out of the optical drive.

Johanna

demirkol

demirkol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
what do you mean take the cd out of the optical drive and now i got another problem when i went to the C drive i cant find my D drive.

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Czarina was right if your getting options to instal XP you need to take the install cd out of your cd drive or set your BIOS to boot first from drive C

Do you mean, when you went to My Computer, your D drive wasnt there? Well, you just said you deleted it. Go to Your Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management Then click on Storage, then Disk Mangament (Local) you should see your D drive there unformatted Free space, If you want it to appear in My Computer with a drive letter you have to format it and assign it a drive letter.

demirkol

demirkol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
so i have to install XP on the D drive? can i use C drive then because i want to use the D drive as storage

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
No you don't have to install XP there...Just do What Todd told you to do and you'll have a freshly formatted drive that you can use for storage or whatever.....

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
You said you deleted your D drive, when you do that, The drive no longer appears when you click on "My Computer" because it is unformatted free space, if you have XP installed on your C drive, just go to your control panel and reformat your D drive.

demirkol

demirkol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
thank you guys

demirkol

demirkol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
what do you mean by reformat?

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
just follow the instructions above, youll see a graphical display of all the drives on your system, right click on the free space and click create new drive , windows will do the rest

Advertisements

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
good luck, its 5 o clock, i got to split

demirkol

demirkol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
thanks

demirkol

demirkol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
ok i just tried the thing you said and it didnt work. when you mean reformat do you mean install XP?

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
What do you mean it didnt work? post the steps you took, and what happened, im a little fuzzy about what exactly your promlem is, you said earlier that you removed your D drive with the xp install cd, I dont understand why you did that or what you were trying to do. What are you tying to accomplish? are you trying to be able to use your D drive for storage? Do you already have XP installed? is it installed on your C drive? Please be more specific.

demirkol

demirkol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
ok i have 2 drives and i was using 60 which was mu c drive and i was using d as my storage. i installed XP about 1 month ago on my C drive and i left 40 alone like i put nothing in 40 so i check how much space i had in my d drive and i saw that there was 27 GIGs.
You know when you are installing XP you delete hard drives So you can Install XP what i did was delete the 40 GIG then restart the computer but now before I go into XP i get 2 options go into XP or go into XP setup

Please can anyone help