Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help needed

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I think what you are trying to do is get rid of the set up program that keeps trying to run...Is that correct? You can do that by selecting a default Operating System.

wannabe1

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
sorry.

Close everything, just so we're starting from the same place

Double click MY COMPUTER, double click your C drive, right click boot.ini, choose PROPERTIES, uncheck READ ONLY

If you do not see the file, on the top of the EXPLORER window, choose TOOLS > FOLDER OPTIONS, choose VIEW tab, choose and check SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS and uncheck HIDE PROTECTED SYSTEM FILES, the right click the boot.ini file and do as directed

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click "Start" and then "Control Panel" make sure the control panel is in "Classic View". Double click "System" and click on the "Advanced" tab. In the bottom box (Startup and Recovery), click on "Settings"...Choose your Operating System in the Default Operating System drop down menu and click "Ok"

wannabe1

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Do what Gerryf said...............That will allow you to save the new boot.ini file.

A note of experience if I may....

Don't use "my Computer" as a means of file exploring...IMHO it sucks

Use Windows Explorer...
You can create a shortcut on your desktop to windows explorer by....

Start/All Programs/Accessories/..Go to Windows Explorer and right click and choose "Send To" and select Desktop (Create Shortcut).....Much Much better file explorer with an interface that's much more self-explanatory....

Just some advice..

Edited by yardguard, 03 September 2005 - 05:23 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
well, MY COMPUTER is EXPLORER, just in a different mode.

I know, that is semantics. I find it is easier to walk people through a process with MY COMPUTER since it's something they are usually more comfortable with....

If you really want a good file manager, go here

http://www.v-com.com...Free_Trial.html

get powerdesk 4 (powerdesk 5 is not free, but they still offer version 4)

demirkol

demirkol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Thank you guys i need one more thing i cant seem to find my other hard drive in my computer. The Hard drive letter is D

demirkol

demirkol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
bump

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
whoops, I'm glad you PMd me..we need one more change

Open the boot.ini file and edit it so it looks like this

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

We need to change the default line so you don't have a little instability at start up.

-----------

as for missing drive

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose MANAGE, choose DISK MANAGEMENT and expand the window

what do you see?

demirkol

demirkol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Ok heres a link for the hard drive thing you told me to do

http://img76.imagesh...age=disk7vc.png