Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is It Possible

• Please log in to reply

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
Hello There,

Recently I have heard strange noises from my phone line and I am Suspicious That It maybe one of those Diallers,

I am on broadband and my PC is not connected to the phone, HOWEVER it is connected to this box ( No i Dont Mean The Modem :) ) in the wall that my ISP put there.

So My Question is that is it possible to be a victim of a Dialler under these circumstances. :tazz:

Please Correct Me If I Am Posting in the wrong place :)

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I would not rely on my hearing to detect if a malicious dialer was installed and operating. I would check the firewall logs of the PC.

Johanna

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
10.85.0.1 UDP is the only strange thing i see there what should i see in the firewall that could be a dialler ?

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Hi Cleverboy

If your dial up modem is not plugged into a phone socket in addition to your broadband connection, dialers cannot affect you.

UKBiker

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
sorry i have a difficult time here understanding.

I am on 516kb broadband.

My PC or Modem is not connected to the phone LINE however it is connected to a box that my ISP but in the wall.

Thanks for your help in this matter :tazz:

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Hi Cleverboy

sorry for not being clearer. Briefly, broadband and dial up connections use different modems to connect. Most PCs come with an internal 56K modem which is what you would use for dial up access (non broadband), and it is these that dialers target. As you are using Broadband, the 56K modem is not used, instead your ISP will have provided a dedicated broadband modem instead(unless you are on cable broadband which I know zero about). As long as your 56K modem is not connected to a normal phone socket in addition to your broadband connections(which seems to be the case), then even if you had a dialer infection, it couldnt dial out.

UKBiker

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
The "strange noises" could be something as little as line noise.
Which can be anything from lines going bad (inside or outside your home), to squirrells chewing on the phone line.
If you're the paranoid or conspiracy theorist type, it coule be The Man listening in on your conversations... :tazz:

UK: Cable is basically the same as DSL, except you share your bandwidth with EVERYONE in your neiborhood thats using cable. Though theoretically cable is faster than DSL, its actually head-to-head in most areas, unless you're the only person on the node that either has cable or happens to be online.

Edited by NullWolf, 02 September 2005 - 05:06 PM.

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Thanks NullWolf

I think I am safe from "The man" as I always wear a tinfoil hat when online.

UKBiker

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
ok thanks uk biker now i unerstand It is unlikely to be a dialler because I have scanned my PC several times and nothing shows up maybe it is the line problems.

By the way i am on cable ! :tazz:

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

I always wear a tinfoil hat when online

:)

cleverboy12: I wouldn't worry too much, its just gonna be the lines, basically like static on your cellphone or cordless. (which you wouldn't need a line tap to listen to, just a baby monitor or scanner...) :tazz: