Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cleaning Out Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

ehermill

ehermill

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was wondering if anyone could help me try to figure out how to "uninstall"everything and start fresh. I have saved all my important files and programs, and now would like to get rid of all the unnecessary "junk" on my computer. I didn't know how to get started and would appreciate whatever input you can throw my way. I have all my program disks here and just wanted to know how to start it out. I have a Dell 4500S adn use Windows XP. I appreciate your help.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome ehermill! <_<

TIP: Don't overlook saving your contacts and favorites. :D

If you have the Dell restore CD that came with your computer that would be the easiest method. It will format your drive and reinstall the original software. All your data and settings will be lost.

A more in-depth method is to boot from the WindowsXP CD, run setup, reformat the installation drive and setup, then install all your programs, and restore your data.

Is there a specific problem you're having that causes you to want a fresh install? Maybe we can help you correct it.

GeeksChicago

GeeksChicago

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My very first post here.. hello everybody ; greetings to fellow geeks.

Cleaning out the junk and "starting fresh again" is the best thing anyone can do for their computers. I do it all the time for that "fresh and clean" feeling. Then incrementally Ghost image it and tuck it away for an instant recall if you ever need to go back in time within minutes. I always partition it into C: and D: or even a third E: or add a Linux partition as well (for obvious geek functionality reasons).. A classic assembly-language-written-utility called 'wipe.com' from ftp://ftp.pc.ibm.com/pub writes zeros to your HDD making sure you don't have stupid overlay software. Be sure to use the latest FDISK.EXE from Micro$oft that supports over 33.6gig / 60 gig limitations , in case you're using a HDD that big, or will be adding a HDD of such a size.. wipe.com is attached - and the way you use it is A:\> wipe 0 [enter] or wipe 1 [enter]

Attached Files

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hi Geeks Chicago! Welcome to Geeks to Go! <_<