Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Bad situation

• Please log in to reply

asti

asti

• Pip
  • 9 posts
My co-worker was having some trouble with her PC ( compac pressario 5050 with Win98 on it - dont know anything else about it right now)
There were some error codes popping up on start up, the qrunq.pif file was missing and there was something about the win.ini files, and she needed to delete the file looking for them in order not to see this message again, SO....
she deleted some stuff, went to reboot and nothing is happening
Black screen, no flashing cursor, no response from the CD or floppy and the monitor says no signal.

I have it here and theres no response from a bootdisk start up floppy, tried F8, 2 and 12 upon start up to no avail, have to try something as she is in no way able to pay for a "real" pc repair or buy a new PC....

Help please!!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
does the machine sound like it's starting up? do the fans spin up? the drives? try pulling the video card out and putting it back in

asti

asti

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks,
Yes the PC sounds like its starting up and the fans engage and whirl right along.
there are three icons on the face of it, one crescent shaped moon, one hard drive, and one sun shaped. Upon start up, the hard drive lites, the sun lites, then the hard drive goes out and the sun stays shining, LOL
The CD, floppy and the keyboard do NOT flash at all.

I have tried the monitor on another PC and it works fine. The video "chip/card" is built into the motherboard, no way to * pull it out *

Edited by asti, 01 September 2005 - 11:47 AM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
To make the boot floppy work you'll have to go into setup and change the boot sequence to floppy first. Then what will need to be done is to extract the missing files from the cabinet files. On most Compaqs the cabinet files are usually in Windows\options\cabs\ so you may not need the restore disk. This will all have to be done in ms-dos mode, since you can't get in in safe mode, using the boot floppy. Once the win.ini file is extracted you may be able to boot to windows by taking the floppy out. One potential problem is that some of the missing files may be "built up" during windows installation, if that's true you may just have to reinstall windows!

Are you up to doing this? It's quite a procedure, even for someone with a little experience, but if you want to try there are folks here, myself included, who will help you and are good at explaining things.

PS: On second thought it might just be easier to run the reinstallation of windows with the cabinet files, BUT you need to have the ProductKey handy. I should be on the computer case or the back of the Getting Started with Windows98 handbook. It will also be in the machine registry but you don't have access to it. By running the installation from the cabs and not the CD disk you will keep your settings and programs, and any malware too, I might add.

After you've managed to boot with the floppy and the prompt finally comes up (it seems to take forever) type in

C:\windows\options\cabs\setup

exactly like that and hit enter. It will ask if you want to run Setup.

Edited by Tyger, 01 September 2005 - 06:14 PM.