Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internet problems - help me

• Please log in to reply

inmekrist

inmekrist

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, I have bought a new computer and have had it for 4 days now with the internet working. I use a cable modem called "Realtek Family Fast Ethernet NIC". Now; for some reason, I can't connect to the internet on it (I'm using my brother's computer) and I get a message: "Status: Limited or No Connectivity". I have read on here how to get rid of the message (uncheck the notify box), but doing this does not return my connection. I cannot put any specific details because I am on a different computer. If you need any other bits of information, I'll try and provide. Please help me out.

Edited by inmekrist, 01 September 2005 - 08:26 AM.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
1. Click Start, click Run, type "ncpa.cpl" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

2. Right-click the connection with an overlaid yellow symbol and click Properties.

3. Click on the "General" tab, highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", and click Properties.

4. Click on the "Alternative Configuration" tab, select the "User configured" radio box.

5. Type 192.168.0.2 in the "IP Address" field.

6. Type 255.255.255.0 in the "Subnet mask" field.

7. Click OK twice.

Johanna

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Open network connections and right click on your ethernet connection, then click on repair , windows will disable and then re-enable your nic and renew your ip and dns.
if it doesnt work after that unplug your cable modem and plug it back in and restart your computer

right click on the computer icon in the lower right corner of your screen, and click on status, it should tell you your ip address and gateway, is all the information correct?

if it still doesnt work go to run, command, open a command window and type ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew

if that doesnt work right click on your network connection go to properties. scroll down to tcp/ip and click on properties, make sure you have dhcp enabled

Edited by todd333, 01 September 2005 - 11:56 AM.

inmekrist

inmekrist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
After countless attempts of trying to fix it (trying all your ideas) I decided to look around the forum. I found the "Winsock" thing and how it fixed many peoples' problems. So I decided tog et it, I downloaded it using my brother's computer and put it on a CD. I put it onto my computer, ran it, and restarted. The internet was up and running. So this fix was dangling right in front of me; I just didn't see it untill now. Thanks everyone!

Woman

Woman

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Yea, winsock! I'm one who used it, posted my great good luck here, and am now a true believer!

(I love this site - way cool people here with way cool solutions and way cool willingness to share those solutions with the rest of us out here in the Great Unknown.)