Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

registering windows

• Please log in to reply

EmilyBean

EmilyBean

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I just reinstalled windows on my pc. this is the windows cd that came with my old laptop (my pc came with windows 98). The serial number was on a sticker on my laptop, but I don't have this laptop anymore, it was exchanged because of problems we were having. The new laptop has a new sticker with a different serial number which doesn't register. is there anything I can do about this?
if I don't register within the 30 days like it's bothering me to, what happens?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Contact your local Microsoft Office who will replace the product key

Unles you activate it, it won't run most things

EmilyBean

EmilyBean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
how do I find the number for this office?
and wouldn't they NOT give me this, as I was using this copy on my pc when it came with an old laptop?

ankush patel

ankush patel

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
calm down doent worry.

call your computer company ect. dell,sony,compaq, speak to either a support agent and tell them your issue.

they will give you a key to enter in or they will help you get around the issue.

just go to your computer makers site and grab their number

they will help you out!

i had the same issue

EmilyBean

EmilyBean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
well this isn't a problem with the computer, it's a problem with windows. i wouldn't want to hassle the computer company when this isn't their fault.

ankush patel

ankush patel

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
just call your computer company and they will tell you what to do.

just resay the problem again to me its very confusing to me
thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you need to contact microsoft
http://support.micro...509&gprid=3223

EmilyBean

EmilyBean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I contacted microsoft and they told me to call the computer company. I called the computer company, and well it's pretty confusing. My new laptop came with some toshiba cd with everything on it. i can only use this on the laptop. I have the xp cd from a previous computer, but no serial number for it because this computer got returned. I think I am just stuck.

EmilyBean

EmilyBean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I used that jellybean program and I get a different serial then the one i've been using. this can only be the serial from my previous install, but it doesn't work? also, in the registry, under windows nt> current version, i have a product ID number with an "OEM" in it, does this not mean something? I'm very frustrated because this is a legitimate copy of xp, that I can no longer use because of a completely unrelated hardware malfunction.. (I no longer have this laptop with the serial on it). is there anything I can do? I don't want to have to purchase xp again.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well, as a translation into english, basically what they just told you to do is put your system recovery cd into the laptop and run it, the serial number on the laptop will work with that cd. unfortunately if you used a full version of xp and formatted the entire hard drive, this cd may not work...try it and see. if this doesn't work you will need to purchase a full copy of windows xp.

Advertisements

EmilyBean

EmilyBean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have the recovery cd from my toshiba. problem is, its my pc I have reformatted. with an xp cd from a previous laptop, which got traded in for the toshiba...
the recovery cd is useless for my pc? which is a dell.
i know this must be confusing.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok....you used the cd from a dell laptop to format a toshiba machine?

EmilyBean

EmilyBean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
no. i used a normal full-version xp cd, from my previous laptop, to install on my pc.
the toshiba is basically unrelated, other than the serial number off the toshiba (for xp) doesn't register with my pc.
the previous laptop had a hardware problem, and was traded in for the toshiba. the serial number for the xp which I used to install on my pc.. was on the old laptop.
my issue is that I still own the xp cd. and because I had to trade in my old laptop, I no longer have the serial to use it.
I didn't anticipate this before reformatting. I thought the serial off the toshiba would work, as I still have the xp cd?
I hope this makes sense......

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
gotcha.....you honestly should just be able to get a new key from microsoft after proof of purchase

EmilyBean

EmilyBean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I did call microsoft and they don't really seem to care. they told me to call toshiba. and toshiba is only concerned that i'm trying to install this on multiple computers, when it's really impossible because the only cd I have is their toshiba cd. I appreciate the help, I'm going to try to think of what I can do.