Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help hosting my website on my own server?

• Please log in to reply

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Hi there everyone :tazz:

I own a website www.allsortshop.com .

At the moment my website is down because the hosting companys servers have gone down. I am thinking of hosting my website on my own server.

At the moment i have read through a few forums about web servers and looked around, and the one i want will prob be the sun cobalt raq 4. I am probabbly going to get one off ebay at a low price.

But can someone tell me...

What is the best and which one is the fastest and with the most memory out of...

Sun cobalt raq 4
Sun cobalt raq 550
Sun cobalt raq xtr

Also i have heard that you will need an ISP or Internet Connection that supports web traffic. Many ISPs will not allow users to run a web server unless they pay an additional fee. Contact your ISP for more details.

I am on wanadoo 2mbps with the 17.99 package.
Should i upgrade to the 24/7 package?
And does anyone know if wanadoo will let me run a webserver without paying an additional fee?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The least of your problems will be setting up the server. That hardest will be finding out what you need from your ISP. Do you have any way of estimating the amount of traffic you will have? That will determine the type of connection you will need and the cost to operate it. Does your ISP charge according to usage? If you're making mone fromthe site you may not need to worry, but if it's just a personal page and you expect a lot of traffic things may be different.

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
I am on the wanadoo £17.99 a month, 2gb / month 8 hrs/ day pakage.

I am soon upgrading to the 30gb / month 24 / 7 online package.

I dont know if wanadoo charge you for usage?

I have emaild them asking them but i have had no reply,

Does anyone know?

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Can anyone suggest...

1) Some good servers to host your own website?
2) What parts do you need other than the server?
3) What software do you need to install on your server?
4) Do you need to leave the internet on 24/7 for people to access your website if you host it on your own server?
:tazz:

pgarcia418

pgarcia418

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes, you need to leave your computer on and online 24/7. I've been running a few sites and the ISP has never noticed. You can probably get away with doing it as long as you don't plan to get A LOT of traffic. I wrote an ebook that shows you how to host your website yourself. It covers everything from building your server to solving the dynamic IP address problem (you can run your own server even with dynamic IP).

Go to: 7 Easy Steps to Hosting your Website at Home