Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer won't start

• Please log in to reply

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
Ok, I just wan't to make sure that my motherboard is dead on my main computer before I go out and buy a new one.

I got back from vacation the other week to find out that my desktop computer doesn't start anymore.

The monitor and everything else works fine except for the cpu.

When I plug in the CPU's power cable to the power outlet, the power led on the back goes on. However, when I press the power button, it goes off. Also when I press the power button, both the processor and power supply fan spins for roughly 2 seconds and stops.

What I'm think is that the power supply is not dead because otherwise the power led will not turn on. The only other possibilities is that the motherboard is dead or the power button itself doesn't work.

But I don't really see why the power button doesn't work because everything was working perfectly when I left before vacation.

So I just wan't to see what you analysis on the situation is. Thanks!

Edited by Numb153Im remxed, 01 September 2005 - 11:25 AM.

Advertisements

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
strange i would first reset the cmos on the motherboard and then reseat the heatsink and fan and reseat the processor at the same time, also memory and vid card or anything else u have plugged in at the same time.

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
well I have no idea how to do half of those. I know where the memory and all the different card are. But I have no idea what the cmos on the motherboard is and how to reseat the heatsink and fan and processor.

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
ok first thing first, remove the battary from the computer and the power cable from the power supply, leave them out for approx 10 mins, which will be the easiest way to reset the cmos, then we will try the slightly more drastic measures afterwards.

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
ok thanks. I'll try that sometime later today. I don't have the computer with me right now. I'm on my laptop.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Was it plugged in while your were gone? Check for storms in the area during that time. Probably the easiest way to check is substitute another PSU, you don't even need to mount it in the box for the couple of minutes it takes to check.

The PSU could still be bad and show all those symptoms. Avoid buying a cheap PSU, a better quality used one is preferable to cheaply built new one.

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

ok first thing first, remove the battary from the computer and the power cable from the power supply, leave them out for approx 10 mins, which will be the easiest way to reset the cmos, then we will try the slightly more drastic measures afterwards.

View Post

ok I tried that and it still didn't work after.

And yes it was plugged in while I was away. I think there may have been several thunderstorms in my area while I was gone.

Anyway, I just want to figure out what's wrong with my computer. It may be the power supply or something else. I'm just not sure. I don't want to go out and buy a new power supply and come home and find out that the power supply wasn't the problem.

So what should I do next?

Edited by Numb153Im remxed, 01 September 2005 - 12:30 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
it sounds alot like a PSU issue (power supply unit)...i would check that first...you can either get a volt meter and check the actual connection....or get a psu to test with....most computer stores will take them back if you don't screw up the packaging due to the large amount of people who j ust honestly don't take the time to figure out what they need before they go to the store...plus i've found that if you make a big enough scene then any store will take anything back in any condition

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
ok I don't think I have a volt meter. I do have another desktop computer though. Can I use that computer's PSU to test it with? If so how?

Thanks.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if they are compatable....all you would have to do is pull the psu out of both machines and put the known good one into the theoretical bad one's place...

to tell if they are compatable....see how many connections are made to the mother board....some use one wide connector to connect to the motherboard, others use one wide connector and one small square 4 pin connector to the motherboard. just make sure that the psu's are the same..

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
ok well I don't think the power supplies matched between my two computers.

I'll try to get a volt meter.

edit: do you know what kind of store I would be able to get one? I looked online on compusa.com and bestbuy.com and couldn't find it...

Edited by Numb153Im remxed, 01 September 2005 - 02:14 PM.