Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

display properties window missing three tabs [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

don_1953

don_1953

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was helping a friend whose computer was a real mess last night, all kinds of trojans, viruses, etc. I was able to get Microsoft Antispyware installed, and the latest version of AVG free installed, and pretty much have things calmed down.
However, the desktop screen is still "hijacked" and shows a black window telling me my computer is infected, blah, blah, blah.... and the only button you can click on wants to go to psguard.com

I can't change it because it has removed some of the tabs in "Display Properties". I have a "settings" tab and a "screensaver" tab, "themes", "desktop" and "appearance" are no longer there.

there are two entries in the registry that I tried to edit manually, but as soon as I do, something changes them back.
in the section : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System there are several entries, default I believe should be "0" and they are showing as a "1" but it won't keep the changes.

I'm running the latest AVG free version and also running Microsoft AntiSpyare, scans with both come up clean. I just want to get my display properties window to show all the tabs again.

Advertisements

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Hi don_1953 and welcome to geekstogo :)

Go ahead an post me a hijackthis log and I will take a look :)

Thanks,

:tazz:

Excal

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.