Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Amazed at the Computer illiteracy

• Please log in to reply

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I know this will probably get me yelled at but...........

I am so amazed at how little some people know about computers. We have been in a technological era for some time now and I guess I would expect most to at least have a clue about the workings of a basic OS. (especially Windows)

I took a very involved interest in this when it first became popular to the general public so I suppose my comments may be a bit biased. One would think that parents or relatives would have enough knowledge that they could convey to their children as to not leave them totally lost in the world of computers.

Some of the questions asked on here (G2G) are so basic and yet so baffling to those who don't understand. I know I had my share of ups and downs with this when first starting but I started when it did (well almost).

I'm glad to offer any help I can and this is not to be considered a degradation of those not in the know....I just felt compelled to air my comments on how little the general public does know about computing.

I suppose places like this (G2G) are created for that purpose...Nice site...Nice forum

Just idle thoughts....................

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If anyone has a question, probably the silliest thing they can do, is not ask it

Cranky

Cranky

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
yardguard

I can see where you are comming from.
There could be many reasons for this. One could be that the parents
didnt have an intrest in computers therefore didnt have the knowledge
to teach them and/or didnt care if the children learned about computers
or not.
Believe it or not there are some people that just didnt have the extra
money to buy a computer, Not even the money for gas to go to the
library (I know people like this) so maybe the children got one on
there own when they got older (WALA) no exprence.
Then you have people like me, in my 50s Disabled cant work a full
time job anymore got bored and bought a computer. (But learning more
everyday) from people like yourself and others on this and other
forums.
I know you're not bashing, just trying to understand.
I just thought I could show the view from someone elses eyes.
Im not bashing either, but I did read a post (no names) that was
bashing people like myself and others.
Thanks for your time and thanks for being here and offering your help
to people with less understanding of computers

cincerly Cranky !! :tazz:

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Some people just hate computers, we cant force people to get computers when they dont need\want one.

As we all know that computers are getting better year by year, and no everyone is completly up there with the technology.

I have come across some people that cant stand computer because it is way to hard from them and they are not prepaired to learn about them as well.

Some people even find computers time wasters lol.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
E.g one of ma mates hates computer because when I had windows ME and had it on a laptop, my best mate wanted to use the internet.

He did something and a error message or somthing came up and it said 'press any key to continue', so he was looking around for the any key.

But since is was not good with computers I had to show him what it ment.

WhatThe

WhatThe

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I guess the average mechanic might make the same kind of critical comments with regards to people’s knowledge of the vehicle they drive.

Put simply everyone has their own areas of knowledge; you may know a few windows tricks, and that’s great, I am sure your mechanic knows a few tricks you don’t (if you own a car of course). :tazz:

mpy

mpy

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
when i want to get out of something do i press the red box with the x in it???
help plz !

ktownkatman

ktownkatman

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Well... some people can't afford a computer like Cranky said, and when their kids get older and buy a computer, they get one with all these added features (ex:300GB HD, 2GB RAM, XP PRO, ect.)and they don't even know how to use them and sooner or later they're having popups everywhere and viruses and worms out the butt. Then they can't fix it and they don't bother to do to a computer fixing store (or whatever) so they throw the computer out and you have $10,000 worth of wasted computer!!!! But for some other people *cough*me*cough* you need those features because you know what your doing and it really doesn't matter how old you are *cough*13*cough*. But what does matter is IQ *cough*138*cough*. You get my point?

clayer

clayer

• Pip
  • 2 posts
[b]Well now yard you didn`t say how old you are but I`m in my 50 sand had to learn 6 yrs ago to use a computer on my own and I have many questions thts why I and many like me coem here to lern the basics,just like you when you were starting out.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also yard....you need to take into account that this is a global website...we have many guests from countries such as india...which...well isn't exactly a rich country...there are very few people there who have home computers...and when they do get one...it's usually old and used and broken....so of course they don't know how to work the darned thing....but by comming here (for the most part....some people who find this site just want us to hand them answers) they at least show a desire to learn..and an ability to research.....it must be noted that the only way to gain computer knowledge is through researching things....and well...some people just aren't good with research..

adendum: plus yard....i've seen you ask a few questions that have made me say...well duh....but..i take into account that i may have more knowledge in that area..(to that note...i have also asked some pretty "stupid" common sense questions here as well...and i always expect someone to say...."duh stupid....the alt key..." knowledge is relative

Edited by dsenette, 25 October 2005 - 10:33 AM.