Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Multiple Hard Drives

• Please log in to reply

aceimus

aceimus

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have two IDE hard drives connected and would like to add a third one. Is it possible to connect a third drive. If so does it require a special ribbon calbe? Also I have heard something about disconnecting a CD rom drive and connecting a hard drive in it's place. Is this possible. What I have is an extra computer and several extra hard drives and I would like to install them in this computer and connect it to my LAN and use it for storage only. Anybody have any experience with this matter/

Advertisements

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Also I have heard something about disconnecting a CD rom drive and connecting a hard drive in it's place. Is this possible.

You can do it and it will work but in most cases I have seen it will slow the hardrive down

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

your motherboard will have 2 IDE controllers. Each controller can support 2 drives (hard drives or CDROMs). So you could have 2 hard drives on the primary controller & one hard drive + one cdrom on the secondary controller, for example.

what you have to make sure of, is that if you do have 2 devices on a single controller (ie on one cable), that the drive on the end of the cable is jumpered as a master & the drive in the middle of the cable is set as a slave.

If you have a hard drive & a cdrom on the same cable (controller), then the hard drive will be slowed down by the cdrom, so its best to use this drive for tasks that don't require high performance, such as backing up files or storage only.