Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Counter Strike Source annoyance

• Please log in to reply

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
When I play CSS and Half-Life Deathmatch I always get 'stuttering' problems. Like one minute i'm walking along and then the game seems to freeze, then it's ok again but by this time i'm invariably dead. I suppose you would call it 'stuttering'. My ping is usually quite low (30 to 50 usually) and i've tried setting the graphics a bit lower to no avail. Anyone know what's up as it's REALLY annoying?!

Advertisements

inferno_blaze

inferno_blaze

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
yeah I get that too and I have no idea why

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
As far as i know its something server end interfering with your router so you for a breif period have a ping of 400- 500.

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Ok. Is there anything I can do about it?

Delta_Man_Sam

Delta_Man_Sam

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
not stuttering but lag...

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
How can it be lag? My ping hardly ever goes above 50.

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Though on other games like BF1942 and RTCW my ping does get quite high. I'm not sure why as i'm on DSL and I have nothing else running other than my firewall.

mozzer11

mozzer11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Any ideas anyone?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
there is a lot that could be causing it. start with making sure your drivers are updated. make sure your router has the latest firmware. make sure that you don't have any virus scans or such that runing while your gaming.

if you have updated via steam for all of the half life games then that would rule out that as a problem. there were some stuttering issues when it was first released, but patches were issued to fix it.-