Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems Repairing XP

• Please log in to reply

hunitasi

hunitasi

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
(This is another HD)
-When I restarted XP I got UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
-I solved this with chkdsk /r- it found a lot of problems but it fixed it. At this point DELL dignstcs passes on the HD.
-I’m tried to repair XP but when I get to the “Device Installation” I get “BAD_POOL_CALLER”
- I think I fixed that.
-Next thing after DELL start up page, I get XP loading (with the green thing moving) then screen goes black with the cursor visible then loops back to DELL start up.
- I did HD diagnostics again, at this point it gives me “Error code 7”, I ran the DELL CD diagnostics, read test : 0F00:0244
Verify: 0F00: 1A44
Called DELL they said they can fix it for $99, I don’t have that much money right now.
Could you guys help me?
In worst case scenario I can wipe it and reinstall XP but I have some really important docs on it I want to save.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
They can fix it by putting in a new harddrive. Your drive is failing. If it is underwarranty, they should provide you a new drive. If not, you need a new drive.

In your case, I would install a new drive, hook up the old drive as a slave, and reboot about a hundred times and maybe the drive will wake up long enough to get the files.

hunitasi

hunitasi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Do you possible have a link for installing a slave SATA ?