Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wierd modem problems

• Please log in to reply

glennv1

glennv1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys,

I was looking at my uncles PC who was originally running Win 98. I unplugged his modem (power) and when I went to power it back up the modem was not found. I tried to re-install the driver, force install it but the computer won't pick it up. I purchased an internal modem and it sill won't find it. I tired a different PCI slot, different drivers, loading the BIOS to defaults but nothing.

Yesterday I installed Win 200 but the smae things as listed as per above. There are no conflicts detected. The external modem was connected via serial. I tired both serial ports and nothing. No conflicts are detetced in Device Manager. The parallel port work as there is a printer connected to it. I tried connecting the external modem to anoher win 98 machine but its dead. I'v eresided to the fact that there is something wrong with the external modem, but the internal modem is not being detected.

Any ideas?

I removed your e-mail address, please do not include an e-mail address in a post

Thanks for your help.

Glenn

Edited by Keith, 01 September 2005 - 07:08 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

Could you please tell us what the system specs are? In particular the make/model of the motherboard, cpu & the internal modem.

If you don't know these, try downloading & running everest from here :
http://majorgeeks.co...tion_d4181.html

Also, when you installed windows 2000, did you perform a clean install or did you upgrade from win98?

scoot

scoot

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i have similar problem its deffinatly same thing, something to do with the comm ports
best i can do is tell ya what has worked for me =]. top of list is isit a fax modem and iff so make sure enunarator is loaded, also any sound modem needs, last of all modem drivers (reason fax modem needs all three to work ) if your diong freash install id start there. youll need to remove any pior drivers of those three ,-, then install new drivers. But any modem thats case. if ya repalce modem insatll drivers first all of em then put modem in (thats fastest way i found to get up and running )look for modem instructions and do exactly wut it says pay paticular attention to the command line if they give ya one you know as to the have disc button lol something like C:\PCT
If u decide to take modem out or if ya can take it out, remove drivers, unplug pc
take modem out
plug pc back in
install all drivers
unplg pc
install modem
plug pc in and go (careful dun wnat ya to get shocked lol )
If ur like me all ya rally wnat is to get going again best thing i can tell ya is to buy cheapest lowest grade simple modem u can find and install it this will get ya going
well i could go on and on about this as of yet i havent found out wut causes windows not to see mode or why it loads driveron one port looks for it on another
i believe the even and odd number ports are related
now for the it dun matter wut it is idea
like i said before ive had same trouble on three diff pcs multiple modems types and brands with differant features all of them have same trouble
windows dun even try to dial out
they all have had one thing in common windows 98 se and modem MIA
so all in all it comes down to iff moden has al drivers it needs and is on right port
it will work
if a old driver is sitting where new driver needs to be installing that driver is useless
find out what all ur modem needs and make sure it has it
seperate all the possibleities u can like move it somewhere across town to buddys house dif phone line andd all get it down to as close as u can to the just the modem
and last tip im gonna give ay against my bettter jugement CMOS but ya better do ur home work and HAVE UR MOTHER BOARD BOOK (either cd or print or both) HANDY
cause cmos like dos is very unforgiving
forgive me for going out on a limb here but i think ur trouble probably is that u dont have all the drivers your pc needs for the modem OR ur tring to load a driver it needs where there already resides an old driver GOOD LUCK
back to my queast for the answer latah scoot

Attached Thumbnails

• hood.jpg