Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Toshiba 60gb drive not recognized

• Please log in to reply

onryetta

onryetta

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Help! I'm trying to set up a new drive and the bios won't recognize it. I've tried all possible jumper settings (They're not printed on the drive and I've been waiting a day for Toshiba support to call back) to no avail.

My bios is set on auto for all drives. On two jumper positions, (connecting the pins horizontally) the bios will stop and hang on recognizing the primary master.

Any and all suggestions appreciated

Lonnie Edwards

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
What is the BIOS version on your machine. If it's Award v4.51pg it won't be able to see a drive over 32gb. Does your drive have a jumper setting that reduces it to 32gb? Does it come with any installation software that will let you install drive overlay software on it, for that is what you will need to do for the BIOS to see it in that case?

You may be able to get a BIOS update that will overcome the problem from the mobo or computer maker. That's the prefered method.

onryetta

onryetta

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for the good advice Tyger. None of the workarounds are available to me. My bios is Award v4.51pg and flashing it has put me into business. I can now access the drive,and it's time to install XP. Thanks again.

Lonnie Edwards

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Very glad to be able to help. It's always nice to see the screen that says "your BIOS has been successfully upgraded.