Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot find WIN.COM

• Please log in to reply

Mslynn3

Mslynn3

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello..Please help.

When start the computer I get

The following file is missing or corrupted.

C:\windows\SETVER.EXE
There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 1
C:\windows\HIMEM.SYS
C:\windows\DBLBUFF.SYS
C:\windows\IFSHLP.SYS

C:\>PATH=D:\PROGRA~1\NETWOR~\NUTS&B~1

The 2 recommended solutions have been tried
scanreg /restore and it doesn't work
rename win.cnf win.com and it doesn't work

There's a posting with this question already, however, I feel this is a little different.

I can not access the CD ROM from the DOS prompt.

I can reboot and go in under Windows 95 if it's needed. I added the second HDD with 98 so that I can add a CD burner and get highspeed internet.

PLEASE HELP

thanks

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Let us take a closer look at what is running on your PC. We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool (HiJackThis) and post a log back here with the results.

Click the HijackThis Guide in my signature, download it and follow the instructions in the guide.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

Mslynn3

Mslynn3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I can not get into Windows nor the internet at this point. I have capabilities to goto Windows 95 on the other HDD but can't access the internet from there.

Is there anything else I can do? Can I download HijackThis to a disk or CD?

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
You can download it onto a disc or floppy and run it on your machine.

Mslynn3

Mslynn3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanks, I've download the file and now it's on my machine. Problem is that HJ is on my original HDD (Win 95) and problem is my 2nd HDD (Win 98). I don't see how I can SCAN the 2nd drive.

Please advise...

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi Mslynn3

I can reboot and go in under Windows 95 if it's needed. I added the second HDD with 98 so that I can add a CD burner and get highspeed internet.

When you are getting the error, are you trying to boot from 95 or 98. If you have installed 98 on a seperate cp and moved it to this one, it will not boot into 98 if the hardware installed is completely different, such as processor, motherboard,.....etc.

When you are in 95, do you even see the second HD with 98?

We might have to quiz you with 10,000 questions to figure out this problem :tazz: , but I think that we can get this worked out.

Mslynn3

Mslynn3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The problem is when I try to boot up with Win 98. Windows will not load.
I can go to the BIOS and boot up with Win 95.

When I go to My Computer, I can see both C & D drives. Is that what you're talking about?

Mslynn3

Mslynn3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
If I can see see both HDD, is it possible to tell HJ which drive to scan?