Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

old hardrive folder recovery

• Please log in to reply

krullmanz1

krullmanz1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi I have pulled my laptop hard drive out of my laptop after the laptop died a painful death (harddrive is ok)

I have set it up into an external enclosure and all is woking well....

MY Question is that i need to recover files that were in my user account under documents and settings, I cant retrieve any of them as it keeps telling me
My documents is not accessible Access is denied.

How do I get around this problem or can I boot the hard drive in a computer, I tried this and it wouldnt boot up, it got to the windows boot snd then just looped in a restart mode.

any ideas around this one!!

Advertisements

WhatThe

WhatThe

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
You need to take ownership of the files. Are you using XP home or Pro

WhatThe

WhatThe

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I see that you say you have Media centre, which I believe is based on XP Pro.

Read this

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;308421

krullmanz1

krullmanz1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
yep looked at the ownership tab and associated suggestions, however there is no ownership tag under properties or anywhere else for that matter.
, so its a little difficult to do much and yes windows media is xp pro essentially.

Any other suggestions, I looked at the microsft linksm provided previously to no avail on a sloution.

I cant be the only person to have this issue surely.....

WhatThe

WhatThe

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Did you read the whole link?

If you are using Windows XP Professional, you must disable Simple File Sharing. By default, Windows XP Professional uses Simple File sharing when it is not joined to a domain.

have you turned off simple file sharing?