Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bluescreens 0x0000007F - probably not by hardware

• Please log in to reply

Finsch

Finsch

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello there

Since about one month i keep getting frequent bluescreens. The "computer has been shut down to prevent hardware damage".
The error message in the lower part of the blue screen is
*STOP: 0x0000007F (0x00000008, 0x80042000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

At first i thought faulty hardware is the reason, so i performed an extensive memory check with memtest. It performed about 100 tests and failed two of them, so i dont think that is the problem.

But i think i know exactly when the problem happens: Whenever i close an application. The system runs stable for hours, i can play games, watch videos, whatever i want. But when i close an application, there is a very low risk of the bluescreen error occuring.
Nearly always when i close opera, the error is occuring. I use that browser for ages now, at the moment Opera 7. This is not the most up to date version, but it ran stable for a year or so, and the installation or config has not changed. I switched back to the Microsoft IE, because then the error does not occure.

But 10 minutes ago, i was on a website that opened a java window. When closing that window, i got the bluescreen.

Summary:
Bluescreen 80 % of the times when i close Opera
Bluescreen 2 % of the times when i close any application - really rare
Bluescreen right now when closing a java window - never noticed that before. Maybe it is jave related, because i have 20 sites opened in opera, there might be a java applett running.

This does not sound like a hardware error, does it? Can someone help me with this problem? I included an everest report with my post, see attachement.

English second language, i hope it is readable.

EDIT:
And i forgot to add: I did not install any additional hardware, did not install any new drivers. Only thing that changed was that i installed Worms Mayhem, which is a game by team17 that makes use of codemasters "Starforce" copy protection, which is known to cause problems in rare cases. But i think that has nothing to do with my problem, though time of installation and time of problem occuring for the first time match.

Attached Files

Edited by Finsch, 02 September 2005 - 04:31 AM.

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
When it goes to BlueScreen, does it show the source of the error, i.e. the file that caused the error?

Finsch

Finsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Just reproduced the error and no, it does not show the reason for the error. Reproduced it by again opening the java applett:
google.de --> searched for "gamma latex" (Without quotation marks), second hit is a java based formula editor for latex, address:
http://wwwmayr.infor...tart/gamma.jnlp
(it is not harmful, usually.)

bluescreen occurs when closing.
I have the dump and the minidump files, if they are of any help. They contain a lot of unreadable elements, though.

Edited by Finsch, 02 September 2005 - 05:06 AM.