Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mobiles

• Please log in to reply

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
Mobiles get anti-virus protection

More and more people are being caught out by mobile viruses
Anti-virus software for mobile phones is going on sale in the High Street.
Finnish security firm F-Secure has created the security program in reaction to the growing number of viruses that infect handsets.

Outbreaks of these viruses that hop from phone to phone have been recorded at a Live8 concert and at the World Championships in Helsinki.

Many security experts believe that phone bugs will eventually become as big a nuisance as Windows viruses.

Mobiles Get Antivirus From Source BBC News

What do you lot thik about this OutBreak ? :tazz:

Edited by cleverboy12, 02 September 2005 - 04:37 AM.

Advertisements

Numb Remxed

Numb Remxed

• PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
I'm not really worried about viruses on my cell phone since I don't connect to the web on it. I'll start to really worry when I receive my first telemarketor on my cell phone. lol

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
I'm not worried at-all. I'm not connecting the net with my Nokia 3220..

I read about this earlier, can't remember which models of different cell phone companies were in danger, but I don't think Nokia's are one of them.. F-secure is the best anti-virus firm btw :tazz:

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Hi all

from what I can remeber about this, the vulnerability is not specific to a particular manufacturer as it is the OS which is targetted. In this case, the OS is Symbian which is used by erikkson amongst others and the infection vector is via bluetooth.

UKBiker

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Apparenly virus now can come through txts

FreddieKrugerGuy

FreddieKrugerGuy

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Mobile viruses can only unleash themselves on certain cellphones, especially the new ones with all these crazy features. :)

I don't think an older cellphone will be able to get a virus. I have a NOKIA 5210 so i'm not really worried about it. :tazz:

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

Mobile viruses can only unleash themselves on certain cellphones, especially the new ones with all these crazy features.  :)

I don't think an older cellphone will be able to get a virus. I have a NOKIA 5210 so i'm not really worried about it.  :tazz:

View Post

I'm not worried about it, that is what warrenty is for lol

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Does this all point to things to come, I mean I imagine the telephone is an installed os, so would one be alble to reinstall it over an infected system. Where would one get the os from then?

FreddieKrugerGuy

FreddieKrugerGuy

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Does this all point to things to come, I mean I imagine the telephone is an installed os, so would one be alble to reinstall it over an infected system. Where would one get the os from then?

View Post

If a virus infects your cellphone, it's likely that you'll have to buy a new one or hand it in for a repair. :tazz:

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
What is the best Antivirus for a Cellphone and what can it do? Make unknown phone calls??
RockyIV

Advertisements

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
There's AV's for mobiles?

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
:)

There's AV's for mobiles?

View Post

Yeah seems that F-Prot had released the first ones !

Funny question this but I will ask Anyway :

Can You Get Viruses on A Mobile IF YOu are connected to the net but not using it and if so would antiviuruses add firewalls to mobiles because it seems that you can connect to the net anyhow these days even with a games console ! :) :tazz:

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Apparenly virus now can come through txts

I don't think so?

What I have read, the cell phone viruses comes up either from the wap connection, OR if someone has an infected phone, some of the viruses spreads themselves through multimedia messages.

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Mobile phone viruses? Wow, that's something I've never heard of for sure.

At any rate, I use my Nokia 7260 for pretty basic purposes - text my friends, call up people when I'm on the move, listen to the radio when I'm bored and take the occasional photo when I feel like it. Never tried surfing the 'Net on it before - I'm not even sure whether or not my model allows me to do that. Anyhow, I'm on a prepaid card, which makes anything else that isn't SMSing and making calls darned near impossible so...*shrugs*

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

:)

Yeah seems that F-Prot had released the first ones !

Funny question this but I will ask Anyway :

Can You Get Viruses on A Mobile IF YOu are connected to the net but not using it and if so would antiviuruses add firewalls to mobiles because it seems that you can connect to the net anyhow these days even with a games console !  :)  :tazz:

View Post

Oh ok, so how are you supposed to use it on your mobile, not like you can install it on there, or are you using those data cabels?